XF 1.3 Fresh install of Xenforo

tommydamic68

Hopefully someone can give me some input. I f I would like to do a fresh install of Xenforo, not just an upgrade, a fresh install from scratch with of course my current database, how would I go about that?
Concerns:
What about my custom style?
What about my current add ons?
Extra CSS I currently have?

Thanks,

Extra.CSS is in the database so if your using 100% of the database it will still be there.

Question is are you trying to clean install the files or go as far as possible? If your just doing the files you will want to track down all the plugins and make sure you have the same versions (or upgrade prior to this) as well as the theme files. You will likely find yourself missing a couple of things.

All the way would mean doing a Xenforo to Xenforo import. Anything non core data related will be lost. You will keep all you attachments and avatars. But lets say you run a donation plugin like we do, this will not survive the import. For us to keep that we would either not do this type of import or restore that table after the import and plugin install. Some plugins can be fun if they do not use their own tables rather, add columns to existing ones.

Maybe you ought to explain what you're trying to achieve exactly, or why.

The files and folders themselves are, for the most part (excluding avatars, attachments etc), read only, so replacing files and folders and keeping the same database is literally going to do nothing.

The files and folders themselves are, for the most part (excluding avatars, attachments etc), read only, so replacing files and folders and keeping the same database is literally going to do nothing.

Unless his install was compromised which while the database could be a concern, its worth doing anyways IMO.

Many people don't like having a mess after many plugins, theme work etc. Generally not a "problem" but if we had not converted to Xenforo I wanted to do this to the mess of a vB install we had when I took over. Between years of old files, exploited files and not even vB related crap it was... a nightmare.

Many people don't like having a mess after many plugins, theme work etc.
Good practice when removing add-ons it so delete the files and folders that came with it at the same time. I always keep a copy of all add-ons installed on my computer (and I often keep previous versions too, especially for paid add-ons which I keep all of). Once I uninstall an add-on I simply look at the add-on I have on my computer, note the folders and files that it contains and then delete them from my install. Job done. :)

As for tidying up old XenForo files that are no longer used, that really isn't a problem, they aren't doing any harm. The only real reason to replace all XenForo files is if your website has been compromised.

Unless his install was compromised which while the database could be a concern, its worth doing anyways IMO.

Many people don't like having a mess after many plugins, theme work etc. Generally not a "problem" but if we had not converted to Xenforo I wanted to do this to the mess of a vB install we had when I took over. Between years of old files, exploited files and not even vB related crap it was... a nightmare.

@Chris D - @rainmotorsports is on the right track, the issue is, I have many old VB files and "junk" on my server, file wise, some of it could be compromised, and it was recommended to me to delete my entire public_html folder and re-upload Xenforo as a new or fresh install. If I do choose to do so, I want to get it right the first time with minimal loss.

You had your vB files still in the folder when you imported to Xenforo? Forgive me but why...

Chances are you still have your Attachments folder too if there was one (since file storage was optional). That was deletable after import.

I would so go for cleaning up the files then. Simple enough to backup the data and internal data folders, id keep the js style and xenforo folders. Upload the latest version and upload those back over it, should be enough to help get rid of vB files. Depends on what plugins you have, Tapatalk has the mobiquo folder in the root.

I'd highly recommend that, if you don't have a test site already (which should be a replica of your live site) that you create one and the carry out the clean-up on that first. That way if something goes wrong you can work out what it is without any disruption to your live site. Then when you've done it and are happy with the results, carry out the procedure on your live site.

You had your vB files still in the folder when you imported to Xenforo? Forgive me but why...

Chances are you still have your Attachments folder too if there was one (since file storage was optional). That was deletable after import.

I would so go for cleaning up the files then. Simple enough to backup the data and internal data folders, id keep the js style and xenforo folders. Upload the latest version and upload those back over it, should be enough to help get rid of vB files. Depends on what plugins you have, Tapatalk has the mobiquo folder in the root.
My Xenforo files are in their own folder-all other files are outside of that.

And my attachments were in the database.

I'd highly recommend that, if you don't have a test site already (which should be a replica of your live site) that you create one and the carry out the clean-up on that first. That way if something goes wrong you can work out what it is without any disruption to your live site. Then when you've done it and are happy with the results, carry out the procedure on your live site.
@Martok - I'm not sure this will help in my situation. My issue is, all the junk on my sever in multiple folders from years of whatever that have accumulated. Adding a test site or just another folder is adding to the mess.

Ii've been debating the same thing.. But after reading most the replies i suppose the junk files aren't hurting much except for the space they are eating up unnecessarily.. It would be interesting to know how many KB's of junk files are sitting on my server after a decade of forums and a dozen migrations.

@Martok - I'm not sure this will help in my situation. My issue is, all the junk on my sever in multiple folders from years of whatever that have accumulated. Adding a test site or just another folder is adding to the mess.
I wouldn't run a test site in the same webspace as a live site. I run mine in a subdomain.

I'm just advising you that it's probably best to run through things on a test site first that going ahead on your live site and then finding you have problems.

I wouldn't run a test site in the same webspace as a live site. I run mine in a subdomain.

I'm just advising you that it's probably best to run through things on a test site first that going ahead on your live site and then finding you have problems.
So, when you say subdomain, how does that work if it even can with a shared hosting plan? Do you pay for an additional plan? Pleas explain.

Ii've been debating the same thing.. But after reading most the replies i suppose the junk files aren't hurting much except for the space they are eating up unnecessarily.. It would be interesting to know how many KB's of junk files are sitting on my server after a decade of forums and a dozen migrations.
Well, unless the "junk" files are or can compromise you're website.

So, when you say subdomain, how does that work if it even can with a shared hosting plan? Do you pay for an additional plan? Pleas explain.
Yep, you can have subdomains even with a shared plan - I had this when I was with Dreamhost (I'm now with Nimbus). With Dreamhost each website had its own folder in the hosting space (so one for seniorgamers, one for the test site, other for the other domains I have). Stuff going in to those folders was accessible to the world via their respective domains, stuff at the same level (ie outside of those folders) was not. With Nimbus, the hosting spaces are completely distinct and have different users to manage them.

You'll have to enquire with your host as to how exactly subdomains work but you should be able to have a separate and distinct test site with a subdomain.

Top Bottom