[Free] Windows 8 Developer Build

Maybe they plan to make the "professional" or "corporate" edition, like the previous windows

I don't know though, the first thing I'd do if I got Windows 8, would be to turn that start page off

As with Windows 7, the first thing I did, was manually re create the Quick Launch bar, never understood why they got rid of that.

Why is it that every company wants to simplify everything as much as possible?

Do you mean the Metro UI? I'm sure that will disappear for most desktop users, they've just included it now to get lots of testing and feedback :).

Not loving it. Seems like their taking Apple's strategy for success, in reverse. Where Apple made the phone screen work like a smaller version of the MacOS desktop, MS looks like their making the computer behave like a larger version of a phone. Weird. Not at all a pleasant user experience.

Windows 8 for the desktop makes no sense in a lot of places. It's clearly an early build on that part.
I think it's awesome they're trying to support ARM/AMD/Intel. etc.
They have a lot of little tweaks that improve the UI and UX and improve usability for daily tasks for those who don't need 50 windows open for their work.

Finally, a sign of innovation. No matter who they got inspired by.

Linux has shown this step a handful of years ago. Apple some years ago. And hopefully after a few iterations Microsoft will finally get it right so it's a long term solution until the market demands a revamp of the way we handle our content and do our work - and interact in our lives with others.

It gives Apple (almost) a run for it's money, but only on those points.

Everything else about it still screams 'meh' to me.

That said, having it used on a tablet with a somewhat bigger screen than the iPad2 it's got a lot of things that feels like 'this is what Apple would have come up with'. Let's hope it comes to apple too.

Putting the two tablets alongside each other you can compare the various elements quite nicely.

The opening screen from iPad has notifications in iOS5 - a great improvement. But it's very business-y.
The icons ordering is all very nicely done on the iPad, but on tablt with win8 it feels like it's a more user-friendly interface. It's move 'live', 'modern', and has elements such as various size based on program. Excellent. The way it is designed just reminds me of a business html4 page. Not my style.

I think it's certainly not my flavor. It's snappy because it uses hardware accelleration. (ANDROID YOU PAYING ATTENTION?) but that's all. The responsiveness that iOS has is just fine tuned to the pixel, something win8 doesn't give. at. all. Yeah "it works". And that's it.

I have no reason to even consider moving away from iOS / Apple, and I won't.
But it's clear that the few years the iOS is out now has given the rest of the world time to catch up and Apple 's iOS will soon feel "outdated", iOS5 SHOULD be the last evolution of the iOS branch and Apple should realize this. Time for iOS X ..

I can't wait for iPads with retina displays, intuitive(r) GUI, 64bit iOS and much smoother and more logical multitasking.

It's time to realize we shouldn't take steps back to simplify the experience.

Not loving it. Seems like their taking Apple's strategy for success, in reverse. Where Apple made the phone screen work like a smaller version of the MacOS desktop, MS looks like their making the computer behave like a larger version of a phone. Weird. Not at all a pleasant user experience.

Apparently you haven't seen that the long term plan by Apple is to make everything like iOS, not OSX. I think its an awful idea that maybe will die with Jobs gone. This is Microsoft's attempt to keep the computer alive.

Simplification is always a good thing, provided you do it sensibly. Starting to sound to me like their taking the next step to bridging the gap between laptop and mobile devices.

Do you mean the Metro UI? I'm sure that will disappear for most desktop users, they've just included it now to get lots of testing and feedback :).
I hope so, otherwise this will be their next Vista.

The Metro UI is totally useless for anyone who needs to do serious work. It's a toy, nothing more.

Please tell me you can disable the default function of the start button. That is not something I will EVER be able to use. It actually screws me up. That should be it's own function like 'aero menu' or something...not a replacement for my damn start bar...I mean the functionality is cool...but it is useless to me unless I am using my IRpen or touchscreen. Also since when should I have to manually create a shortcut to control panel to get to it????

8.webp

I feel like I went from Windows 7 to "Window Pains".

PLEASE oh PLEAZZZEE tell me I can implement default functionality with the start button/menu

I remember the same comments when we moved from DOS!
And see where that got us! ;)

Because it costs less. The bottom line is the bottom line.
I'm not so sure. It's in games too, for example. Simplify the gameplay, because otherwise it might just be too hard for the people to get it. It's in software, but in many other things as well. Kids programmes nowadays are dubbed, rather than subbed. I just don't get why.

Please tell me you can disable the default function of the start button. That is not something I will EVER be able to use. It actually screws me up. That should be it's own function like 'aero menu' or something...not a replacement for my damn start bar...I mean the functionality is cool...but it is useless to me unless I am using my IRpen or touchscreen. Also since when should I have to manually create a shortcut to control panel to get to it????

View attachment 19288

I feel like I went from Windows 7 to "Window Pains".

PLEASE oh PLEAZZZEE tell me I can implement default functionality with the start button/menu
There is presently a command you can run to disable the Metro functionality, but the catch is it also takes away the Ribbon in Explorer.

Keep in mind that you only have to deal with Metro at all when your turn your computer on and when you press the Windows key. Beyond that, you can just stay in the Desktop the whole time and never see or interact with Metro.

That said, it's possible the RTM may have some kind of detection where it defaults you to the Desktop if you're using a keyboard and mouse. The DP was just that: a preview, meant for developers to get a feel of what Metro is and how it will interact with the rest of the OS.

As long as they do not replace it and it is only an option and I can disable the metro stuff I'll be happy.

Also not really keen on attaching my windows login to an email/live id for some metro crap. I just want my old menu...I don't need or want a splediferous scrolling lightup whizbang to load up when all I want to open is control panel or Win explorer or any of the apps pinned to the the start menu.

Top Bottom