Free hosting panels that work with OpenLiteSpeed?

I did not find anything when I used OLS. Do you need OLS? I used it two years ago and got massive problems. I would take a look into nginx. It is very advanced plus you get the cache for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdn
The question should be, do you need a panel.

OLS works very well, use it on several sites with no issues.
For the dumber users, unfortunately it will be a yes.

Right now I settled with Ajenti and configure OLS separately, I was just wondering if there are better-integrated solutions that I missed.

I did not find anything when I used OLS. Do you need OLS? I used it two years ago and got massive problems. I would take a look into nginx. It is very advanced plus you get the cache for free.

I am well aware of nginx, but the lack of easy URL rewriting is unacceptable in my use case.

OLS works very well, use it on several sites with no issues.
Yes, it's fairly stable (I'm still having some issues on one site with Debian - my other site I had to go back to nginx for stability).
One thing I didn't like was that the DDOS protection (limitation of number of connections from 1 IP) didn't work in it. It's not that big of a deal since I do that via iptables, but it is an issue.

yeah, yeah.. I keep hearing that or "it's under consideration"... :ROFLMAO:
Would make it nicer, since I hate setting up a base nginx on Debian since you have to pretty much customize it all yourself. I've got a template I use now though, so it's not so bad.

For the dumber users, unfortunately it will be a yes.

Right now I settled with Ajenti and configure OLS separately, I was just wondering if there are better-integrated solutions that I missed.

I am well aware of nginx, but the lack of easy URL rewriting is unacceptable in my use case.

Uhh... what do you mean lack of easy url rewriting?

I rewrite URLs in nginx all the time...

Uhh... put a rewrite in a location block

Nearly anything you can do in a .htaccess file at directory level you can instead do in location blocks at directory level

Are you saying you can have nginx config files per directory?
Not precisely.

Nginx only uses one configuration file.

It's separated into sub categories

You have:
global
http
server
location can be inside of another location

location can apply to a specific directory

For example, if I have example.com/cats, and I need to rewrite it to example.com/dogs/stuff

inside http
inside server

location /cats {
rewrite code goes here
}

If you want
location / {
stuff goes here
} to apply all of it's rules down to /cats, you would do

location / {
stuff goes here
location /cats {
directory level stuff here
}
}

No problem
Only one file needed

If you DO want to separate files, you can use includes
include features/php-basic.conf;
You can create an include for a specific location block if you'd like.

Not precisely.

Nginx only uses one configuration file.

It's separated into sub categories

You have:
global
http
server
location can be inside of another location

location can apply to a specific directory

For example, if I have example.com/cats, and I need to rewrite it to example.com/dogs/stuff

inside http
inside server

location /cats {
rewrite code goes here
}

If you want
location / {
stuff goes here
} to apply all of it's rules down to /cats, you would do

location / {
stuff goes here
location /cats {
directory level stuff here
}
}

No problem
Only one file needed

If you DO want to separate files, you can use includes
include features/php-basic.conf;
You can create an include for a specific location block if you'd like.
I mean that users cannot place their own configuration files inside their own folders wherever or whenever they want, something .htaccess is designed for (I think?).

Nginx abandoned that because it's wildly inefficient with resources.

If you have htaccess on, you need to parse the current directory, plus all directories above it searching for .htaccess files for every single request, which becomes a HUGE amount of workload, which is one of the reasons apache is slow. This is apache loading the config files over, and over, and over again, which requires text parsing each time.

Nginx takes the configuration in it's config files, and loads them at startup, in an essentially compiled form.

Apache 2.4 actually defaults to htaccess being disabled, just like nginx.

It actually is possible to make nginx do what you want it's more complicated to setup.

I actually did a software engineering school project on that topic.

Setup a main nginx process on port 80

Setup additional nginx processes in systemd containers.

Let the user enter the domain name they want to use via web interface

Proxy the domain to the correct backend nginx process.

Give them control of their individual nginx process

htaccess is just a bad design

If you have multiple IP addresses, you also could just run one nginx process per IP address, and just give each person their own IP

It seems like I have been misinformed; LiteSpeed doesn't support .htaccess natively, but at least they have a web panel where users can enter their own rewrite rules.

It seems like I have been misinformed; LiteSpeed doesn't support .htaccess natively, but at least they have a web panel where users can enter their own rewrite rules.
No, I think LiteSpeed does support .htaccess. It's OpenLiteSpeed that doesn't support .htaccess.

From their website giving a description of LiteSpeed.
LiteSpeed Web Server is compatible with commonly used Apache features, including mod_rewrite, .htaccess, and mod_security.

Top Bottom