Forums are dead

Mature people will prefer forums over social media.
And the people who do both, like most of my members? I'd say there is a lot of immaturity on social media to be sure, but I don't think preferring social media over forum software or vice versa is necessarily a good indicator of maturity.

It might, though, be a good indicator of tolerance for immaturity and trollishness. I think forum folks, both staff and users, might be less tolerant of some bad behaviours than those primarily on social media. Moderation certainly tends to be tighter in the forum-verse.

We need a UN resolution banning social networks, that would save us!
But for sure trolls and misinformation would move on the forums, they don't care about the support what they want is to spread their troll content or fake-news!
Be careful what you wish for! LOL!

But where do you find these people? (apart from on here)
Funnily enough, a lot of people on my new forum came from FB. Apparently some people are getting sick of it - and the aggro. Social media doesn't provide the community aspect in the same way IMO. However it's noticeable the ones that have been used to social media but they soon get to enjoy the forum.

I don't think forums are dead, but some older ones look dated - which is why I chose XF. Having a like button is important too! Because people are used to social media. Some older ones have died off a bit because they look dated and there are other things out there. Partly why I ended up starting a forum in the first place when a favourite one I was on just went down the tubes. (That was mainly because no admin left). After the success of the first one I did the same thing again when another favourite one went down the tubes (and does look very dated). There are people out there but perhaps it depends on the topic.

What concerns me is the number of forums run by big companies for profit, who own quite a few forums on various different topics. Users don't always realise this. The tone of some of those is noticeably different as again IMO, without naming names, the ethos isn't there behind the forum topic - it is purely a money maker and there is lack of moderation and unpleasantness at times.

I think the enthusiasm of the forum owner is part of the ethos of the forum (and perhaps the enthusiasm of a few core members). It is not easy though - I reached out all over the place and asked people to post links as well as advertising with google. I got more sign ups from reaching out (and very few from google despite now being on the front page) but that is increasing gradually (sign ups from google).

This thread is from 2013 and we're still kickin
Forums may be dead, but this thread is undead, eh. ;)🧛‍♂️

I joined one new forum at the beginning of this year but it uses Circle, which generally behaves more like SM than a traditional forum. And the site has a large, built-in audience because it is a fansite for a singer who has a fairly good following between the band she is in and her burgeoning solo career so isn't subject to the kind of market pressures a more general forum might be.

What concerns me is the number of forums run by big companies for profit, who own quite a few forums on various different topics. Users don't always realise this. The tone of some of those is noticeably different as again IMO, without naming names, the ethos isn't there behind the forum topic - it is purely a money maker and there is lack of moderation and unpleasantness at times.

Yep. Most of the forums where I'm a member are owned by the same big company (located in Canada). They find successful forums and buy them up. There is no "lack" of moderation on any of the ones where I'm a member. In fact, I feel most of them are over-moderated. Different perspectives, I guess.

Most of the forums where I'm a member are owned by the same big company (located in Canada).
Interesting. Someone offered to buy Wondercafe2 years ago. Since I technically don't own it but operate it on behalf of the community, I politely blew them off. Wonder if it was them (we are Canadian-based).

Yep. Most of the forums where I'm a member are owned by the same big company (located in Canada). They find successful forums and buy them up. There is no "lack" of moderation on any of the ones where I'm a member. In fact, I feel most of them are over-moderated. Different perspectives, I guess.
The typical modus operandi would be they aggressively monetise the forum, but the existing mods, specific rules and mod policy stays. Why would they get too involved as their staff has to be paid whereas most forum mods are unpaid. Free workers.

I kind of compare forums to Mom and Pop Diners and Social Media to Chain Fast Food.

The majority of the people don't want to wait and they go fast foods (social media people) but there is still a big group that loves old town diners (forum people).

I don't think forums are dead. I think the group of people who like them just isn't as big.

But social media is really doing a good job of committing suicide more and more.

We might have a chance to shine here, folks! LOL

Facebook groups are just full of foolish people who really are immature plebs.
I do have to defend them a little here.

I run a local hiking group on FB. I have about 25K members. Everyone in the group is reasonable and pretty respectful.

But from the get-go, I've explained that I won't put up with trolls or toxic people. Everyone got that point.

I never have to ban anyone, maybe once a year, aside from spammers.

Forums are not dead, rather they are suppressed. When forums first emerged they were like a breath of fresh air and anyone opening up a forum could expect a flurry of people eager to sign up and start posting. Times have changed and we now have an audience of consumers with very few people willing to sign on and become contributors. Back in the days of Internet infancy forums were a place for people to contribute to AND consume from. Nowadays, the Internet is awash with places that people can glean whatever information they seek and forums are probably the last place they will look for that information.

That doesn't mean forums are dead. If they were then companies like Xenforo, Invision, Woltlab, vBulletin etc, would no longer be in business. Anyone who wants to open up a forum that attracts people who are willing to contribute, well they need to be a little more discerning, and do a lot more research into the viability of their ideas before dipping their toe in the proverbial waters, otherwise they are more likely to be disappointed.

There are also those of us, such as myself, who get a lot of pleasure from just opening up a site and seeing how far we can stretch the realms of possibility when it comes to the construction and design aspects. I personally, get a lot of pleasure from this and if anyone else finds my efforts of use, then my job is done. I have no great aspirations for creating a site that hoards of people will gravitate to, if they do then I will make them welcome, if they don't then my dreams have not been shattered either.

In this age of a plethora of Social Media offerings, where attention spans are, at best, limited, and people simply want to accumulate likes and consume information that others have provided, forums are creaking unless you have a unique niche and readymade audience that is in need of a site that you propose to open.

Much of what I have said above mainly applies to the hobbyist interest. Businesses, on the other hand, can benefit from using a forum for customer services, customer support and customer relations. It's a double edged sword where one blade can be sharp and productive, whereas the other edge is blunt and not so efficient and productive.

Whichever way your fancy swings, you will make of it what you will. Be prepared for a long haul, be prepared to create content that no one else can provide, or if they do then you need to do it better. The golden days for forums has long passed, but that doesn't mean they are dead. And, if we look at how trends have a habit of gaining a resurgence after their golden days have passed, perhaps forums will once again shine when the golden days of Social Media have passed and the content creators that provide and satisfy the needs of many begin to diminish, forums may once again be the salvation that they once were.

Good luck, good wishes, good fortune to those who are prepared to stay the course and keep the fires burning.

Top Bottom