I added several features to AVForums when we migrated from vBulletin on October 26th. I announced them in newsletters. They have all been online for four months except the Media Gallery, which has been online just a few weeks.
- Maps of eating challenges. We had people suggesting additions via posts when I maintained the Google map. Now it can be done by the members via Waindigo's Hotspots addon, only one entry has been added in four months.
- The XenAttendo Events addon. Not a single event added by the members.
- Showcases. 3 created in total. One by a moderator to test it out, and two by normal members. One of those I personally prompted to create his showcase. People have created threads with images in for years, and it seems that's how they want to continue. Even including the showcase module in the sidebar on the forum list has made no difference.
- The Xen Media Gallery. Complete disinterest. The enthusiasts use Flickr. That's it.
- Bookmarks has had a better take-up. Probably because of the prominent Bookmark link under every post and it enhances normal forum use. Still we have only 300 bookmark records in the database.
Compared to the forums, even our editorial is ignored by a large proportion of our membership.
People, it seems, are only interested in the forums.
Have other admin successfully encouraged their members to use these useful addons?