Lack of interest Forum Session separate from ACP Session

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

-Calypso-

Can the sessions be separate? Can't work on login, register or any part of the board that requires you to view as a guest. Currently if you want to view as guest, you have to log out of the board. The problem is, the ACP knows that you logged out of the board and also locks you out of the AdminCP, doing this prevents you from working anything that you would need to see as a guest unless you log back in.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Most up-to-date browsers come with private browsing of some sort that I find useful when I want to view things as a guest.

Or I guess I could load IE and FF? Not the greatest experience toggling between browsers but if it's the only way then I guess it would have to work.

I am using chrome, and am logged into the admincp with my Administrator account, and into the forums as another user. (on my test site)

Is that what you mean? I'm not using private browsing at all, 2 different tabs in a single chrome window.

I think if you are logged into 2 different databases it would work but being logged out of the board on one would also lock you out of the ACP on the same database.

It shouldn't be an issue, there are two separate logins, how can you adequately test a member group that you are setting up with permissions if you can't have a test member in a non ACP group and login as the test member to get your stuff straight. If you login with a non ACP account, you can't change permissions on it in the ACP unless/until you log back into the front end with your main account. That is a big hassle, if there is two separate logins then there can be two separate sessions.

Can the sessions be separate? Can't work on login, register or any part of the board that requires you to view as a guest. Currently if you want to view as guest, you have to log out of the board. The problem is, the ACP knows that you logged out of the board and also locks you out of the AdminCP, doing this prevents you from working anything that you would need to see as a guest unless you log back in.
Couldn't you just use two browsers, or two browser sessions? I think that is what makes a lot of sense. Having two separate logins could create a whole new set of problems like posting with the wrong user because you assumed that the login the ACP was the one you were using. I would not want the antennas to get crossed really.

Also, there is a "Test permissions" option in the AdminCP that you can use to test a specific user. It gets a little tricky because it is not a "login as user", but it pretty much lets you see what forums the user can/can't see and what they can edit, click on, etc.

It shouldn't be an issue, there are two separate logins, how can you adequately test a member group that you are setting up with permissions if you can't have a test member in a non ACP group and login as the test member to get your stuff straight. If you login with a non ACP account, you can't change permissions on it in the ACP unless/until you log back into the front end with your main account. That is a big hassle, if there is two separate logins then there can be two separate sessions.
adminCP -> users -> test permissons
Then you can test permissions of a specific user.

In addition, as I stated before, you can indeed login to the admin CP as and admin, and as a regular member into the forums themselves at the same time, in the same browser.

you can already do this.
first, login to your forum using your test account (or not, if youre testing guest mode).
second, create a shortcut to your acp and login your admin account from there.
the logins will not interfere with eachother until one of them logs out, which has the effect of logging both accounts out.

what will not work is logging into the board then clicking the acp link.

Ok, I see what you are saying and although it would work if you are only working on 1 test group (this case being guest) but if you wanted to move between the groups to check certain things, you would have to do the ACP login process over and over again. Cumbersome.

Ok, I see what you are saying and although it would work if you are only working on 1 test group (this case being guest) but if you wanted to move between the groups to check certain things, you would have to do the ACP login process over and over again. Cumbersome.
As stated earlier there is a way to test permissions in the AdminCP:
adminCP -> users -> test permissons
Then you can test permissions of a specific user.

Okay, apparently the suggestion earlier doesn't work.

Follow me if you want to try it yourself.

1. Login to the board with your normal AdminCP able account (account with ACP permissions).
2. Click the "Admin Control Panel" link with a new tab (FF/IE) (do not login yet).
3. Log out of the public side (you should now be viewing as a guest).
4. Go to the Admin Control Panel tab that you opened in step 2.
5. Login to the AdminCP.
6. Go back to the public side where you were viewing as a guest in step 3.
7. Refresh browser or navigate anywhere in the site.

Apparently there is an auto-login to the public side if you are logged into the AdminCP.

Let's keep going...

8. Now that you have been automatically logged in, navigate anywhere on the public side.
9. Go back to your AdminCP and navigate to ACP > Users > Test Permissions.

You will get the error "Please login via the public login page before testing permissions." even though you are already logged in to the public side.

you can already do this.
first, login to your forum using your test account (or not, if youre testing guest mode).
second, create a shortcut to your acp and login your admin account from there.
the logins will not interfere with eachother until one of them logs out, which has the effect of logging both accounts out.

what will not work is logging into the board then clicking the acp link.

notice one has a user icon on the login and the other doesnt? for whatever reason, they arent the same.
i know this works because it is how i have been working. i can edit templates in the acp while viewing the result using various test accounts logged into the forum.

As stated earlier there is a way to test permissions in the AdminCP:
not very intuitive imo.
certainly not as easy as using an actual account from any given usergroup. not the sort of thing i trust to test templates modded with conditionals based on shadabs usergroup helper for example.

notice one has a user icon on the login and the other doesnt? for whatever reason, they arent the same.
i know this works because it is how i have been working. i can edit templates in the acp while viewing the result using various test accounts logged into the forum.

Tried that also, users don't stay logged in.

Top Bottom