1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Permission

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by kuyenmotdivad, Oct 6, 2010.

1. kuyenmotdivad

kuyenmotdivad Active Member

How do I make a forum so only admins and mods can create threads (inc uploading | polls) but members can reply only?
  2. MrDeranged

MrDeranged Well-Known Member

admin > users > node permissions > "usergroup" >

can post new thread - deny
    can post replies - allow

and of course same thing for admins/mods but:

can post new thread - allow
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

We would generally recommend using deny absolutely sparingly. Use revoke instead. Deny cannot be overriden--ever. It has its uses, but it interferes with the ability to re-add abilities with an additional group.
    Shamil likes this.
  4. MrDeranged

Excellent, thank you for the clarification Mike. I will keep that in mind. :)
  5. MrDeranged

What is the difference between the Deny in the Usergroup permissions and the Deny in the Node permissions? Just wondering as there is no revoke in the usergroup permissions
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Deny is identical. You don't need revoke a the global group/user level as there's no inherited permissions to remove. (Default is basically the same.)
  7. kuyenmotdivad

kuyenmotdivad Active Member

Did I do it right, I went to - Admin > User > Node Permission > Main Forum 2 > Registered

Forum Permissions - Can Post New Thread = Revoke

Then goto User > List all Users > User 1 (admin) > User Group

Change user from Registed to Administrive.