Forum Options

Shamil

Just a few questions for forums:

Can a forum be set up so that when a post is made, the thread is not bumped up to the top?
Can a forum be set up so that a password is required to access it?*
Can a forum be set up so that users cannot see each others' thread, but only their own?

*much easier to do via usergroup IMO

Can a forum be set up so that when a post is made, the thread is not bumped up to the top?
No, but this could be managed by changing the default sort order. (Not something we do right now, though not that hard.)

No. Passwords are a nightmare to manage, so I'm not sure if that would appear.

Can a forum be set up so that users cannot see each others' thread, but only their own?
No, not currently. I can see value in it for certain specific setups, but I'm not sure how frequently it's used.

No, not currently. I can see value in it for certain specific setups, but I'm not sure how frequently it's used.
I currently have many thousands of posts in a forum such as this.

2 questions (just your best guess):
  • Could a competent person create a modification for this?
  • If so, would it likely survive software upgrades reasonably well?

I currently have many thousands of posts in a forum such as this.

2 questions (just your best guess):
  • Could a competent person create a modification for this?
  • If so, would it likely survive software upgrades reasonably well?
I don't think it'd be that hard to implement in general. It's probably quite small. To implement it as a modification probably wouldn't be that hard, though making sure that the check was applied when listing threads and doing the last post handling would be the most challenging part. Specific aspects of the add-on handling code is still being formed, so it's hard to say exactly (and obviously, particular needs for add-ons can be requested, though there's no guarantee of implementation).

I don't think it'd be that hard to implement in general. It's probably quite small. To implement it as a modification probably wouldn't be that hard, though making sure that the check was applied when listing threads and doing the last post handling would be the most challenging part. Specific aspects of the add-on handling code is still being formed, so it's hard to say exactly (and obviously, particular needs for add-ons can be requested, though there's no guarantee of implementation).
I don't make casual requests, but either stock, or as a modification
  • we would need either this feature,
  • or the ability to add attachments & edit Personal Conversations.
I realize there is a mindset of 'you sent it, it is mine, you cannot edit it, it should be treated just like email' with some members of this forum. But we would need one of the above 2 options before using this software.

Right now what we have set up is a forum where I can see all threads, and no one else can. That has a certain 'creepiness' factor because others are not *really* sure that other people cannot see it. PCs would actually be better in this regard. Some information being exchanged this way is extremely private.

I think a permissions system is better than a password system.

I think it would be easy to create a modification for this as your just inserting a NOT clause.

My moderator lounge is password protected as once I screwed up with usergroup [edit] permissions and everyone had access to the moderator lounge.
If that were to happen again, they would be blocked by the password.

It should be just one extra field per forum. As long as admins are aware that it's not being hashed and so is a light security password. If it's not built in, then should be possible to add as a very simple Plugin in 2-3 different places doing a simple conditional.

"Dropbox" forums are great for suggestions or submissions. Used on vB.com for submitting Quick Tips.

I always recommend using usergroups, but I can see the value of these two requests and can be done simply without adding another "system".

No. Passwords are a nightmare to manage, so I'm not sure if that would appear.
Could anyone explain the benefits of a password protected forum?

I've always equated it to a combination lock on a door, something that could get easily passed around and made public, as opposed to using user group permissions which only allow certain people to access.

It's much less effective than using Additional Usergroups. I will always encourage users to use that instead of a Password that you are giving out to dozens of users.

In some cases, it may be for additional security. But I've never used a forum password before, though I do know of a few forums that use it.

Top Bottom