Forum node/sub node long displays

Trekkan

So after today I noticed that there are some new forums dedicated to the new search application. One of this is the first use of sub forums that xF has used here.

The list of forums is getting pretty long and is only going to get longer as new products (Resource Manager, etc) are released. This is going to be the case for many people's forums as well.

While I've seen some template hacks to do bullet lists of sub forums, something native is probably going to have to be done. Those hacks change some core templates and whatnot as there aren't proper hooks (according to the hack authors).

So, are there any plans to address the long forum lists here, as well as hopefully within the core software itself?

Changing how sub-forums are displayed won't have any effect on the current forum home page as they are almost all parent forums.

Only restructuring would solve the issue of too many forums being displayed; moving them to sub-forums or categories.

BTW, there are already sub-forums in use in the development forums.

Yeah, I guess what I'm asking is that, are alternative display methods being looked at? Or is this considered good enough and everyone here is happy with the current options? No one has really come up with a "Good" solution from what I've read of peoples opinions of forums with a large amount of sub forums.

This is why I want to set my Categories to Collapse, with a default Category open.
There is a mod but one of the other issues besides this is having too many mods.

I think this small display option needs to be core. (Nor am I a constant wailer for adding X Y Z to core!)
So part of this thread's issue I think is how/ when XF can take over some of the important mod functions; obviously in a friendly agreement with the other developer where possible.

I've got almost 100 sub-forums in some of my forums, most of them Page nodes though.

Thanks to a little tweak though (from Mike), only level 4 and above are displayed in the drop down.
You can see it in action on the Season Archive forum on my site.

So although it lists 84 sub-forums, only 11 are actually visible.

Top Bottom