Lack of interest Forum list: Above nodes widget position should be above Forum List title

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mr Lucky

Forgive me if this is as designed and there is a better argument for it being the way it is.

The widget in position Forum list: Above nodes shows below the Forum List title.

This seems wrong because the implication by being under the title is that the widget is part of the actual forum list.

I have seen a few forums where they have a new posts widget in this position and it is confusing because at first glance a user might think the threads in the list are forums, as they see the title above.

This is only a problem when the h1 is actually Forum List, ie when the Index route isn't forums/ because then the title shows as the Board Title (like it does here on the xenForo forum)

So a workaround might be to change forum_list phrase, but I still think the position (by implication of the widget name) should be above the h1.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I hope you don't have many members of this intellectual level who are not able to understand that they are on the forum list because they see a list of the latest threads...
It's like arriving at the municipal swimming pool and confusing the foot bath and the swimming pool itself... Despite the sign... MUNICIPAL SWIMMING POOL.

I hope you don't have many members of this intellectual level who are not able to understand that they are on the forum list because they see a list of the latest threads...
It is of course possible I am the only person of that intellectual level.
It's like arriving at the municipal swimming pool and confusing the foot bath and the swimming pool itself... Despite the sign..

Except in that case people would know to probably expect a footbath, and they would be able to see by the size of that it isn't for swimming in.

This is not a good analogy.

Besides I only gave New Posts as an example, there are many other things you could have in a widget. In fact you've given me an idea to have a footbath widget.

Last edited:
It is of course possible I am the only person of that intellectual level.
It was a little provocative to mark my feeling on this suggestion.

Besides I only gave New Posts as an example, there are many other things you could have in a widget.
In fact I can't put myself in the shoes of someone who wouldn't understand where he is despite the List of forums panel. Even if there was a widget with the latest media at the top of the page, I wouldn't feel lost...

In fact you've given me an idea to have a footbath widget.
Don't forget a sandbox next to it ! :)

In fact I can't put myself in the shoes of someone who wouldn't understand where he is despite the List of forums panel. Even if there was a widget with the latest media at the top of the page, I wouldn't feel lost...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there when you say "top of the page"

I also wouldn't mind if it was the top of the page, ie above the forum list heading, but it isn't.

Besides in your analogy of the footbath, it is a different circumstance because it's something everyone expects as a necessary part of a hygienic bathing experience. A widget that is nothing to do with a forum list is not expected right there within the forum list at the top.

So I'm sorry to disagree and point out that your footbath analogy does not hold water.

I don't really see the problem here? The widget location is exactly as it's described. Above the nodes. Not "Above page title on forum list". This is the code in forum_list:
Code:
<xf:widgetpos id="forum_list_above_nodes" />
<xf:macro name="node_list" arg-children="{$nodeTree}" arg-extras="{$nodeExtras}" />
<xf:widgetpos id="forum_list_below_nodes" />

It literally can't be more accurate. To me, it sounds like you have a specific use case and shouldn't be using that widget location. Instead, maybe just use the ad system to manually call a widget only on the forum list using Container breadcrumb (top): Above/Below).

The widget location is exactly as it's described. Above the nodes.
It is indeed, as I mentioned in the Suggestion title. I think under Breadcrumb would be a much better as a widget position. The forums I've seen that use this position would all be better IMO if the widget was above the Forum List h1 heading rather than below it.

Instead, maybe just use the ad system to manually call a widget only on the forum list using
Sounds good but I didn't know you could put a widget in an ad position.

Sounds good but I didn't know you could put a widget in an ad position.
Yep!

Code:
<xf:if is="$xf.reply.template == 'forum_list'">
<xf:widget key="forum_overview_forum_statistics" />
</xf:if>

Replace forum_overview_forum_statistics with your widget key. That conditional will make it so it only loads on the forum list.

Top Bottom