Forum is extremely unsuccessful due to rival site

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Buy the domain name with "the" and forward it.
2. Remove it from the logo or make it smaller than the other letters. Like, small and tilted or something. Really I would just remove it. You have a 4 word logo. Could be 3.

abandon thread GIF

I don't understand what your site is about.

If you're not going to open your threads for public viewing, some alternative content would help. Such as a series articles that tell some sort of story. I have only one private sub-forum, and guest users can't see it. The other 98% is viewable, and easy for new users to engage in if they wish, but they can lurk around too as guests - the site thrives either way.

I'm all for giving users what they want, but ...

The logo is now the best part of the forum.

Content is king, especially to attract new members and getting people to discuss. If only new forum admins understood that.

Somehow he started this about a rival site and no activity, and ended up with a logo. In other words, all the suggestions are there if goes back and reads. Really no point in repeating. This thread was at the top of XF for a week.

Ok, first off, your site is NOT unsuccessful because of that rival site. Your site is unsuccessful for several reasons:
  • Because you made it out of spite towards that other site.
  • Because you have several dozen forums and all of them are almost completely empty.

Both of these are extremely common mistakes. Stop caring about what that other forum is doing and trim your own forum index down. Make some use of thread prefixes instead of having a forum for everything.

I don't understand what your site is about.

If you're not going to open your threads for public viewing, some alternative content would help. Such as a series articles that tell some sort of story. I have only one private sub-forum, and guest users can't see it. The other 98% is viewable, and easy for new users to engage in if they wish, but they can lurk around too as guests - the site thrives either way.

I'm all for giving users what they want, but ...
I was actually "excited" to see the forums listed publicly. And, then I clicked on one..... (record scratching sound). None of them have viewable content unless you're registered. No bueno!

Content is king, especially to attract new members and getting people to discuss. If only new forum admins understood that.
Yep... Guests and lurkers (aka prospective members) want to SEE the content. What's this forum about? What are the members like? What kinds of conversations do they have? Is this a "club" I want to join?

Can't do that with a completely closed forum. Yes @beerForo , we are repeating ourselves, eh? This is BASIC no-brainer stuff!

Ok, first off, your site is NOT unsuccessful because of that rival site. Your site is unsuccessful for several reasons:
  • Because you made it out of spite towards that other site.
  • Because you have several dozen forums and all of them are almost completely empty.

Both of these are extremely common mistakes. Stop caring about what that other forum is doing and trim your own forum index down. Make some use of thread prefixes instead of having a forum for everything.

I don't think there is any real limit on the forum index, if those forums are relevant or even non-relevant but of interest to members. I have many off-topic forums in my index. But they are of interest and increase engagement (visits and posts) beyond the core topic.

The reason his are empty (IMO) is because nobody is there.... because nobody can see them (unless they register). To get any forum hopping, you need TRAFFIC. Just like with regular websites, there are THREE goals:

1. Get them TO your site. (SEO and other marketing efforts to get the word out.)
2. KEEP them ON your site. (Content. Content. CONTENT.)
3. Compel them to take ACTION. (Register, buy, subscribe, return to visit again, etc.)

If someone, somehow, manages to land on the OP's forum.... They can't ****ing see anything! No content! ZILCHO. Most people are simply not going to register. And, they move on. That's a fact.

The "privacy" concerns are BS. It's social media! And, the OP's "vetting" isn't going to protect anyone. I try to keep my personal info private on forums as much as possible. I don't use my real name. I don't publish my street address. I'll mention which state or even city I live in, if the topic comes up. It's common sense. For anyone truly paranoid about privacy.... stay off social media, including forums like this one, eh? LOL!

Content is king. Content is everything. It starts with the content being visible. Then it's got to be GOOD content.

As the stomach churns.... :)

I don't think there is any real limit on the forum index, if those forums are relevant or even non-relevant but of interest to members.
When you have a signal fan forum, and some off-topics like TV monitors and old air conditioners, but they are their own forums with zero discussions except your own, yes, this is exactly what @TrixieTang is talking about. Start small, use prefixes, popular prefixes can become forums, etc. They can also be easily moved since they are a prefix. So if you have 400 people talking about air conditioners in a month, bam, forum. Done.

When you have a signal fan forum, and some off-topics like TV monitors and old air conditioners, but they are their own forums with zero discussions except your own, yes, this is exactly what @TrixieTang is talking about. Start small, use prefixes, popular prefixes can become forums, etc. They can also be easily moved since they are a prefix. So if you have 400 people talking about air conditioners in a month, bam, forum. Done.

Can't disagree with that, either.

The off-topic forums need to be something that is still of interest to members. For example... A car forum... Lots of car guys are also (wrist) watch guys. So, having a watch section is an opportunity for additional engagement. Also... almost every forum could use a Humor section. In some cases, also a Political or "Free-for-all: Enter at your own risk" section can be popular.

My point is that limiting forums / sections to ONLY on-topic can be a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom