XF 2.2 Forum Email Broken; Similar Threads Broken

Gene Steinberg

I've found two serious issues with the latest beta (beta 3):

1. I cannot make PHP email work for Contact forms or forum notices. Zilch. This follows install of beta on two of my forums (the less active ones of course).

2. The Similar Threads widget is broken. After I set it up, it's no longer listed either as enabled or as available. I did remove the Similar Threads add-on from AndyB, but no dice.

If XF is functioning correctly, there should be a text file generated in the internal_data directory.
I do not get a text file within internal_data, with the code added to src/config.php, when sending test email from /admin.php?activity-summary/send-test-email

I did solve a couple of things along the way, but actually it's not server-side since that has been checked by Namecheap, cPanel and our paid admin service. I also posted our PHP config info.

At this point, I'll await further updates to XF 2.2 and see how it goes.

Newer releases of 2.2 are unlikely to resolve it if it's an add-on or server side issue.

We've had no other reports of this particular problem so don't believe it to be XF software related.

Problems were found originally with all add-ons disabled. I think we're close to mostly resolving it, except for activity summary test messages, although I haven't found a direct cause.

But you are welcome to write me privately and I'll give you server access if you want it. Perhaps you can find something that'll be useful to other users, and we all benefit from that.

OK, with beta 4, the Activity Summary email test works. This clearly means that something that was fixed or changed in the script between beta 3 and 4 address the problem.

That it has nothing to do with my setup.

Or there was a problem with your particular B3 installation.

If it was a general B3 issue then we would have had more than 1 report of it.

Coming back to this - did you actually have the option enabled when you were sending the test email?

Even though there is a confirmation message that the email is sent, if the feature is unchecked, nothing is sent.

1598465440587.png

That is the only way I can reproduce the issue.

I have raised it with the developers - either the email should be sent, or the option to send the test email shouldn't be available (especially as the confirmation message is misleading).

Top Bottom