Forum directory - name?

Morgain

So in about a week I will have the add-ons I need to finally do my LIVE install.
This is on an existing VB install which I allowed to fade a year ago.

I want to keep some of my existing static site pages.
So I put XF in a directory.
What to name it?

This is for a community about philosophy, history, mythology, politics, etc with quite strong personal issues in it too - family, pets.

I have used these directory names in the past.

www.mysite.com/forum
www.mysite.com/forums
www.mysite.com/discussion
www.mysite.com/community

Can anyone suggest anything interesting?
I want it ONE WORD + SHORT + EASY SPELLING! but something to fit my community profile.

I guess there is an issue between the tried, tested and familiar e.g. community
which is instantly recognisable
and the more interesting niche type of name e.g. circle
not quite so recognisable, but also not so forgettable.

www.mysite.com/connect?
www.mysite.com/circle?
www.mysite.com/us?

more?

Geeks yes because I have some top level entry pages already in place for years with good google status.
They are not simple pages so I don't want to make them XF Pages without access to the Page headers.

DigD there's friendly URLs but I don't think that removes the extra /forum or /pages directory name.
I did not try it out on my test install. Not sure whether to try that as I have URLs hard coded as navigation all ready to transfer to the live install.

I don't make long folder names myself, instead I opt for a single letter, ie.
  • /c/ for community
  • /f/ for forum
  • etc.
Keeps URL's short...

Anthony I like that too. But is it easy to forget because it's just one letter and kind of hides between two slashes?
I know I'm fussing but this is my pet project this time.

Its a personal choice I think... there is no hard or fast rule about it. I use the first letter typically of the word, that way I know whats what, which as the admin, is the more important than what users see or know.

If we're going by word choice, forum would win over forums. Forum is the plural of fora. Forums is like saying childrenses to me.

Community works, as well, as it gives the idea of people coming together around a topic. Discussion seems a bit bland.

If you don't use the root of your public folder, /c/ or /community/ is what I would consider going with.

Personally I prefer to use community as an introduction page to various community elements.
Such as on site community, off site chat room, or off domain social networks / newsletters.

I'm very tempted by Anthony's one letter strategy especially C

but also considering "circle" - it's a niche word for us that means group or community or powerful space and it's pretty.

Criticism please?

Top Bottom