Forum Con 2013

Any chance of vB6 being announced? :confused:
It's possible, but they've recently released vB5.

Then again, it's Internet Brands....
Is it worth it? Some of the topics look interesting and resourceful.
It's worth it. If you want to grow your forum from what it is now, whatever stage it may be.. ForumCon was designed to help you (and I'm quoting someone who said it best) know "how to run, grow, optimize & evolve online communities." Not only that, ForumCon is home to forum-focused mentors, consultants, angel investors, accredited investors, venture capitalists, other like-minded forum owners, and big board owners.

FYI, I'm going to the event.

I'm considering attending this year. Is it worth it? Some of the topics look interesting and resourceful.

http://www.forumcon.com/

I went to the first one two years ago, as I happened to be in the San Francisco area at the time. If you're into networking, then it could possibly be worth it. I met some interesting folks from eBay, Yahoo, Google (coincidentally the same person who later recommended me for my interview), and other folks who run (in various capacities) large communities. Some of the talks may be interesting, but the conversations that happen outside of the talks and breakout sessions are more valuable, imo (as with most events like this, really). I wouldn't go out my way to attend another one, though.

If you're trying to get VC funding, then it's definitely worth it if you're in the area. I know SoftTech, Google Ventures and First Round Capital will have people there, and there may possibly be others.

Jake Bunce could represent Xenforo. I'd really like to hear him start the presentation with a "More waiting is required" folding up his papers and sitting straight back down to see the look on the crowds faces. #newwishlist

SF is only a 2 hour drive for me, but I'm not gonna go. An event like this isn't something I would normally attend as a spectator, and I haven't been called on to represent.

I went to the first one two years ago, as I happened to be in the San Francisco area at the time. If you're into networking, then it could possibly be worth it. I met some interesting folks from eBay, Yahoo, Google (coincidentally the same person who later recommended me for my interview), and other folks who run (in various capacities) large communities. Some of the talks may be interesting, but the conversations that happen outside of the talks and breakout sessions are more valuable, imo (as with most events like this, really). I wouldn't go out my way to attend another one, though.

If you're trying to get VC funding, then it's definitely worth it if you're in the area. I know SoftTech, Google Ventures and First Round Capital will have people there, and there may possibly be others.

That's my impression too. This seems like more of a networking kind of event for spectators. If I want information about a forum product then I will find it online.

It's about networking, monetization, and community building/social media, not really about forum software per se. I've been invited but for now, there is nothing compelling that would make it worth it for me to go (especially with airfare and/or gasoline too expensive now). If it were nearby (like Chicago), I'd stay with a buddy of mine and attend as it's only about four hours away.

I'll not be attending personally, but Jane from Socially Uncensored will be at Forum Con 2013

She's kind of interested in this & will be in the area anyways. So its not something out of her way (as it usually would). I told her I think it will be a waste of time and money, but if she's going anyways. :rolleyes:

From what I can understand of Forum Con is you have a bunch of people patting themselves on the back on a job well done and promoting themselves. No one outside of being an administrator of a large forum or business will be there. :rolleyes:

Now Comic Con is something I could get behind. Real people actually go there. :p

I'm not quite so pessimistic ;) , but I see it geared more toward those who run a large community as a business, where the networking, promotion and monetizing aspects would be most helpful. I would also suggest that any "small fry" going are just wasting the time of those who are there to seriously engage in what the rest of the attendees are doing. I do enough business across my sites that I could possibly justify going, but I'm actually cutting back due to other issues in my life right now (including going back to school).

On the plus side, I would get to meet my contact at VigLink whom I've worked closely with on the sites I manage. It is a lot easier to talk business face-to-face than play email tag.

I'm not quite so pessimistic ;) , but I see it geared more toward those who run a large community as a business, where the networking, promotion and monetizing aspects would be most helpful. I would also suggest that any "small fry" going are just wasting the time of those who are there to seriously engage in what the rest of the attendees are doing. I do enough business across my sites that I could possibly justify going, but I'm actually cutting back due to other issues in my life right now (including going back to school).

On the plus side, I would get to meet my contact at VigLink whom I've worked closely with on the sites I manage. It is a lot easier to talk business face-to-face than play email tag.
I think going to a place where everyone is there to basically promote themselves at the same time, isn't productive.

It's like having used car sales men or life insurance agents gathering together in one place; to sell their product and the only customers are themselves. ..... Hope you catch my meaning.

From what I can understand of Forum Con is you have a bunch of people patting themselves on the back on a job well done and promoting themselves. No one outside of being an administrator of a large forum or business will be there. :rolleyes:
I felt the same way about E3, which is a convention for video games. I've seen gamers slip through the proverbial cracks. They went only to experience E3 itself, not to write about video games, which made folks like me look bad. :(

And actually, those people "outside of being an administrator of a large forum or business" were there last year. Top of my head: Server hosting (URLJet), some blogger from a major news organization (I thought it was odd), Internet Brands (of course because they bought vBulletin, but they're a news -blog- network, and for the majority of their big panel, they talked a lot about blogs, than vBulletin itself), and some big board owners. Hell, even vBSEO's Juan was there.

If you look at the agenda this year, there will be some kind of variety, one of them is a blogger that talks SEO (SEJournal).

Top Bottom