1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Forcing users to fill out a custom user field after they have already registered

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Jhon, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jhon

Jhon Member

Hey guys, I very rarely stumble across something that I cannot figure out by searching online, but this has been causing me some major frustration :)

I have added a new custom user field that should be required for user registration, and it works fine for those that are new users.

However, I want all users that were registered before this change to also have to fill out the custom user field.
    Is there a way to force them to fill it out upon there next login?

Thanks!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That currently isn't possible but it has been suggested.

3. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

I've suggested this too. I feel XenForo needs to enforce data integrity. After all, a required field should be required. Hope this is added soon.

Jhon likes this.
  4. Jhon

Jhon Member

I see, would that be an expected update at some point in the future perhaps?

For the meantime, would the only other alternative be to completely reset all users/posts and ask them to register all over again?
    If so, how would that be accomplished? I've read that mass user deletion isn't currently supported. Would I have to drop some tables on the MYSQL back-end?
    Cheers for the quick response.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's a suggestion like thousands of others so there's no telling if or when it will make it into the software.

Dropping all users is a bit drastic, unless it is a new site and you don't care about potentially losing members.
    1.2 supports mass user management but again I would suggest that's a last resort.
    Why not ask everyone to fill out the field and those that don't place them into moderation until they do?

6. Jhon

Jhon Member

I'd agree that dropping all users is a bit drastic :p
    Seems like your way is the best way and is what I'll be doing tonight haha!

Thanks again!

7. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Maybe ask for an add-on that would prevent posting until the custom field is filled out.

8. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

I think this would actually be an easy add-on. All it would need to do is iterate the custom fields looking for required ones. If one is found then the user receives a warning message and is redirected to the missing fields. Im pretty sure it would be a very easy mod. @Waindigo may be able to help.

9. Jhon

Jhon Member

That would be absolutely fantastic. It seems like there are quite a few of us that would appreciate that feature, so there appears to be a need.
    Unfortunately I know next to nothing about producing an add-on for XF.
    However, being a student on holiday gives me a lot of time so I may have to look into it if it isn't too difficult!

If @Waindigo does it, I'll be first in line to test it for him!

10. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Using user group promotions, you can promote any user who has filled in certain custom fields -- then any user who hasn't been promoted can be shown a notice to tell them to fill in the field.

Jhon, Dan and Rob like this.
  11. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

Yup... Good thinking!

Jon W likes this.