Force user to log out - would you find this useful?

James

I decided to post this here just to get opinions on this. A few years ago I always pondered the idea of creating a modification to force the log out of users. I can't remember entirely why I wanted to do this, but I was pretty much stuck on the idea for a good 3 months.

Would anyone find a constructive use for a forced user logout? I'm tempted to suggest it, but I decided a discussion might be more suitable :P

There was a Mod for that on vB.org called "Admin Anger" but IIRC you could only log someone out via their post. So if they were just lurking, it was useless.

It would be good for getting rid of someone without actually banning them. But then, "Miserable User" takes care of that pretty well.

Don't know if it's useful, it might be useful if you decide to change cookiesettings, for example, and be able to log them out with a custom message like 'delete all cookies from this forum, otherwise you'll have problems with logging in'. Don't really think it's worth spending time on though.

I don't see a use for it. And as far as the example with cookie settings, if they are changed you're logged out anyway, and have to re-login and besides... cookie settings are hardly ever changed once the forum is setup.

As many have stated, I don't find this particularly useful. I'd rather request members to log out, than force them to log out. It can be seen as rather rude.

Reported to suggest that this thread be moved to a more appropriate forum.

As many have stated, I don't find this particularly useful. I'd rather request members to log out, than force them to log out. It can be seen as rather rude.

Reported to suggest that this thread be moved to a more appropriate forum.

James indicated he put it here on purpose for discussion, not a suggestion. ;)

I don't see a use for it. And as far as the example with cookie settings, if they are changed you're logged out anyway, and have to re-login and besides... cookie settings are hardly ever changed once the forum is setup.
The thing is, if the cookie settings have changed, you sometimes won't be able to login. Which is rather annoying.

Ah man, he was just asking for an opinion - he wasn't suggesting that they add this feature. :) And what he proposed is really not all that different from Miserable Users - it's just a means of getting rid of a troublemaker without going through all the hassle of arguing with them. Or temp-banning them and setting them off on a spree of psychotic behavior like creating ten new identities to PM-bomb people, or emailing you a dozen times an hour while pretending to commit suicide, etc.

I mean surely everyone has encountered "that" poster - the one who reacts so badly to any course-correcting suggestion that it's just less mentally draining to Miserable-User them.

Ah man, he was just asking for an opinion - he wasn't suggesting that they add this feature. :) And what he proposed is really not all that different from Miserable Users - it's just a means of getting rid of a troublemaker without going through all the hassle of arguing with them. Or temp-banning them and setting them off on a spree of psychotic behavior like creating ten new identities to PM-bomb people, or emailing you a dozen times an hour while pretending to commit suicide, etc.

I mean surely everyone has encountered "that" poster - the one who reacts so badly to any course-correcting suggestion that it's just less mentally draining to Miserable-User them.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, it was just something I wanted to discuss rather than suggest. This would never make it into the core :P

But yeah, it can be useful for cookie domain changes and getting rid of troublesome users. I can't remember why I wanted to use it myself... I must've had a reason... I just can't remember it 8-)

Yeah, it was just something I wanted to discuss rather than suggest. This would never make it into the core :p

But yeah, it can be useful for cookie domain changes and getting rid of troublesome users. I can't remember why I wanted to use it myself... I must've had a reason... I just can't remember it :cool:

Maybe, but I know I've had moment where, when getting really sleepy, I thought a feature would be really cool to have, code it for an hour or so, go to bed and wake up wondering why the heck I thought that was a good idea.

What about after you ban someone.

You log into their user account, change their password, ban them. But they're still logged in. If you 'force the logout', they cant log in because they're banned, you changed the password. Ive wondered why it doesnt exist either.

I decided to post this here just to get opinions on this. A few years ago I always pondered the idea of creating a modification to force the log out of users. I can't remember entirely why I wanted to do this, but I was pretty much stuck on the idea for a good 3 months.

Would anyone find a constructive use for a forced user logout? I'm tempted to suggest it, but I decided a discussion might be more suitable :p

don't agreed with this, i remember which someone released something related the vB that made exactly the contrary ... i meant for the banned members ... :)

Top Bottom