If you monetise your forums you might find this useful/interesting

Having used SkimLinks, VigLink, and Google Adwords (all at the same time)

1 cents in all this time (from Google Adwords). That's all folks ... A single penny.

But of course this is because my community is pro-anit-ad ..... And like myself, know how to block every possible ad there is. Speaking from my own view point .... I've not see 1 ad in months. So I've long since about given up on posting ads and making any profit from it. Donations are about all we get.

But it is a mildly interesting read.

Having used SkimLinks, VigLink, and Google Adwords (all at the same time)

1 cents in all this time (from Google Adwords). That's all folks ... A single penny.

But of course this is because my community is pro-anit-ad ..... And like myself, know how to block every possible ad there is. Speaking from my own view point .... I've not see 1 ad in months. So I've long since about given up on posting ads and making any profit from it. Donations are about all we get.

But it is a mildly interesting read.

So how many ads do you see when you load my forum up ;)?

On topic... about the e-book, had a quick flick through, quite a lot of "waffle" in my opinion, but the underlying content seems good.

But for people who are inexperienced or new to monetising a forum, looks like a good read overall.

None, <3 AdBlock :p Too bad you have a big white rectangle there though :)

I'm afraid your end is the problem, I'm having no trouble loading it
I have a decent internet speed here, I can compare most website i visit.

1st load will be, we are image heavy compared to most xenforo sites.
Maybe that' it, 1st time visit takes too long compare to a normal forum.

Page load time: 4.92s
Total page size: 1.13MB
Is great! (y)

Thats concerning, makes me wonder what else its blocking then considering those ads are simply image files placed in with run of the mill html, no ad system...
Some of the keywords that is already blocked by Adblock addon:
  • adclick.php
  • bannerid

And you're using it :)

Some of the keywords that is already blocked by Adblock addon:
  • adclick.php
  • bannerid

And you're using it :)

Hmm, looks like im going to have to come up with a way of randomising and obfuscating those then...

But yes, considering some of the ads are

Code:
<li><a href="http://p8ntballer-forums.com/styles/p8ntballer/advertisers/smartparts.jpg" /></a></li>

it must be blocking the "advertisers" path then... maybe ill move all my images under that path and when people complain the site doesnt load images, tell them they have to disable adblock (y)

Hmm, looks like im going to have to come up with a way of randomising and obfuscating those then...

But yes, considering some of the ads are

Code:
<li><a href="http://p8ntballer-forums.com/styles/p8ntballer/advertisers/smartparts.jpg" /></a></li>

it must be blocking the "advertisers" path then... maybe ill move all my images under that path and when people complain the site doesnt load images, tell them they have to disable adblock (y)
Your members can rat you out.... there are anti ad apps that up date like social media... ie... member right clicks on ad and reports it. Poof! Blocked for everyone else by days end.

How effective are Skimlinks and Vigilinks? I never liked those double underlined keywords. When a see a site that has those, I immediately think of spam and low quality. Loses all credibility.

How effective are Skimlinks and Vigilinks? I never liked those double underlined keywords. When a see a site that has those, I immediately think of spam and low quality. Loses all credibility.
You don't have to turn on the automatic underlining of words, it's an option (at least on Viglink anyway). I have it turned off.

Will be their loss then :)
This is basically how it loads for me
The text ads, no banners, no empty boxes....

The only place I could find which suggest you have ads is a small sidebar heading that says, "sponsors"

(see screen shots)

Seriously.... I don't even see ads in gmail.

Attachments

• Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    63.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Untitled2.webp
    Untitled2.webp
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Untitled3.webp
    Untitled3.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled4.webp
    Untitled4.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 18
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't receive notifications on these new replies.

The double underlined keywords you are thinking of were most likely generated by an in-text monetization vendor like Vibrant Media, Infolinks, etc. They operate on a cost-per-click (sometimes cost-per-action) basis and are a legitimate monetization option that works well for some publishers. The use of them can't necessarily be taken as an indication on the quality of the content - some high quality sites utilize them - but of course, that can be impacted by how one chooses to view it in their mind.

With Skimlinks, you can set it so that no new links are generated at all. That's how I use it, primarily. So if a member posts a link to Amazon, that link is affiliatized. The link goes to the same place, there is no redirecting page, nothing really changes - I just get credit for the same generated through the community that I manage. Only links that are already posted on the community.

You can enable new links to be created with a feature called SkimWords. There is an explanation here: http://skimlinks.com/skimwords. Basically it works to identify specific product and retailer mentions and links those mentions to where the product can be purchased and simply links to the store mentioned. You can have it identify only store names and not products, as well. These links aren't double underlined, as you can see in the example.

As far as how effective they are, it really depends. Certain niches, more product-focused niches perform better. For some, it is a ton of income. For me, it is an extra bit of money while placing no additional advertisements on the page. It isn't really an ad, like the in-text monetization you referenced or, at least, is less of an ad and more of a complementary thing. For these reasons, I personally like it a lot.

But the idea of the book was to present all legitimate options in depth, and explain how to use them the right way, with the idea that it was unlikely that someone would use them all. Not to suggest that everyone should use all of them. :) I don't. Display ads, in-text monetization, classified/thread-based ads, sponsorships, affiliate, product sales, premium memberships, mobile and outpost monetization. Some might look at display ads and say they are spammy, low quality and erode your credibility, some might look at in-text and say that, some might look at premium memberships and say the same thing, etc. All of the methods are fine and say nothing of the quality of the community, but different people perceive them differently. The idea is that you'll pick and choose the methods that work well for you. It's all about knowing your niche and audience and using what performs best for you and what allows you to balance the need for revenue with community experience.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Patrick

Top Bottom