XF 1.4 Forbidden Error - do not have permission to access /admin.php

Zaeth

Just put a fresh install of Xenforo 1.4.3 onto my shared hosting server with namecheap. The install went through fine without any issues. As soon as the install finished I went straight to editing templates. The first template I attempted to edit was DEFAULT but when I went to save it, I received an error.

xerror.webp

Without any luck I went on to attempt to edit the Header template. The header template would save but the header.css would not. Resulting in the same error as shown above.

Just wondering whats causing this issue and how I can go about fixing it as I really want to get editing!!

This is usually down to mod_security and something your host can help with if file permissions are correct.

Edit - see you are in the ACP. Almost surely mod_security and something you'll need to contact the host about.

This is usually down to mod_security and something your host can help with if file permissions are correct.

Edit - see you are in the ACP. Almost surely mod_security and something you'll need to contact the host about.
I have cPanel and access to FTP. I see in htaccess. that I can remove "#" from some lines of code to do with mod_security I think. Would that help?

Anything I can do? Or just contact my host to check file permissions are correct.

You should contact your host, they should be able to determine what rules you are hitting and how to reconfigure your server.

Thanks for the fast replies! I contacted my host, showed them your reply to me and they hastily checked my issue. Not long afterwards they stated that:

Host Support: "Our server's mod_security blocked some behavior of your software, but we have whitelisted those rules."
Host Support: "Thus, everything should work fine now."

Me: "But was it something I could have changed? Or only you?"

Host Support: "No, unfortunately, this can be done only from our side."

EDIT: I also receive this error when I attempt to paste code written from my pc, straight into the template editor in the UI. Any fix for that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom