For those not blocking attachments, data in robots.txt

cmeinck

How many of you are not blocking your attachments and data folders with robots.txt. If you're among this group, I'm curious if Google is indexing these within the regular index.

If you do a site:yoursite.com inurl:/attachments/

What are the results?

Just wanted to know: is there any benefit (except for saving bandwidth) to block Google to index attachments where most would be images?
Wouldn't it help reach some visitors who were searching images?

Just wanted to know: is there any benefit (except for saving bandwidth) to block Google to index attachments where most would be images?
Wouldn't it help reach some visitors who were searching images?

My concern would be attachment pages looking like actual pages -- thus creating thousands of thin-content pages. I agree with you, if Google handles the images correctly. I'm curious if they show in the index.

I should also note that we allow guest downloads of all file attachments so Google may be displaying these more richly as a result.

We allow guest viewing of attachments, and Google's results are similar to my fellow Monkey-site owner above. Only attachments that have actual indexed content appear in search results, otherwise you have to do a Google Image search to see the rest.

I made attachments public a month ago and haven't seen any traffic bump
Wondering if google has now indexed these and whether you're getting any fresh traffic from them?

I have 14000 images in my sitemap in my google webmasters account but it doesn't say they're indexed yet. Wondering why, and if I can find some way to help google index them.

Wondering if google has now indexed these and whether you're getting any fresh traffic from them?

I have 14000 images in my sitemap in my google webmasters account but it doesn't say they're indexed yet. Wondering why, and if I can find some way to help google index them.
I'm about 6 months in and have noticed no increase in traffic

I'm about 6 months in and have noticed no increase in traffic
Thanks.

Has google indexed the attachments and images and whatnot?
How many approx does google have in their index now compared to before, is that something you know?

Thanks.

Has google indexed the attachments and images and whatnot?
How many approx does google have in their index now compared to before, is that something you know?
site: physicsforums.com/attachments

That doesn't appear to include images and if I switch over to images it doesn't give a count

Top Bottom