For a platform or website that wants to host books and videos/audio, and also allow users to download it, do you recommend XenForo over Invisio**?

Solution
BTW, just to comment once more on... I have licenses for both scripts... but guess which one I continue to use?
The other "gotcha" with IPS.... there is STRONG understanding that after this next version, you will ONLY be able to get their SaaS offering, which with the fear you commented on is even more impacted, as not only do you get the "script services" from them, but they host your data.
It's one of the reasons I haven't gone back to them as I like having control of my hosting and data.
But with IPS I worry about being discriminated because I'm a KJV Christian, and one of their founder is gay (Which I made no fuss about), just worried, that's why I felt the Holy Spirit telling me about XenForo. I don't mind getting along with forums even If I only want a download/video sharing platform.
XF w/Resource Manager should suit your every need. As far as other solutions I don't care to comment on those here at XF. But I will say since your project is some years off, you have the luxury of seeing what the others are talking about above as far as XF's future.
Yes, thank you, that's what I'll do.
Some years ago I heard some bad things about IPS on TheAdminZone. Also TheAdminZone is XenForo.

How is IPS better than XenForo? I've not decided yet and probably my community will start in some years as I prepare everything, so I have plenty of time.
IPS is a little heavier on the code... and if one was not going to use the Forum function, but the resource manager offered by XF is a little better than the IPS downloads offering (or it was when I was using IPS).
The big benefit with IPS over XF is that it is actually an entire suite. You can pick/choose what "extras" you need. You don't "have" to have forums, and then stack on top of that.
Blog and downloads... they have that covered.
Gallery and downloads ... they have that covered.
Gallery, blogs and self-designed CMS ... they have that covered.

BTW, just to comment once more on... I have licenses for both scripts... but guess which one I continue to use?
The other "gotcha" with IPS.... there is STRONG understanding that after this next version, you will ONLY be able to get their SaaS offering, which with the fear you commented on is even more impacted, as not only do you get the "script services" from them, but they host your data.
It's one of the reasons I haven't gone back to them as I like having control of my hosting and data.

Solution
That's a strong incentive to stay with XenForo indeed, thank you!

Perfect, I think with this I'm convinced, as I have set your answer as the resolving answer to this thread, that definitely. Thank you for your help! If you don't mind I also don't want you going to hell, so if you have time please watch this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(this is not me).
Why is your project years off?
Because I'm going to translate the Bible and other stuff and put it online, it takes years, but it's essentially a Christian bookstore but without the pay. Just look at what I intent to translate: https://pastebin.com/iXRVgyGc
So, it's going to be pretty big, a whole bibliotheque haha.
Edit: Thanks XenForo guys for the help! When I created an account on IPS they didn't let me post on a forum like this, so I'm pretty grateful. (There is no "pre-sales" forum with IPS.)

Now that you mention it, I remember them (IPS admins) saying that they recommended their platform against the likes of Facebook, BECAUSE you could "own" your own data, and now they have backtracked. Wow. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom