For a platform or website that wants to host books and videos/audio, and also allow users to download it, do you recommend XenForo over Invisio**?

Solution
BTW, just to comment once more on... I have licenses for both scripts... but guess which one I continue to use?
The other "gotcha" with IPS.... there is STRONG understanding that after this next version, you will ONLY be able to get their SaaS offering, which with the fear you commented on is even more impacted, as not only do you get the "script services" from them, but they host your data.
It's one of the reasons I haven't gone back to them as I like having control of my hosting and data.
And why your grievance against XenForo?
I think the major issue is that it's been a few years since any noticeable updates... and the developers have gone totally silent after commenting over a year ago that "more information" would be coming in a few weeks.
There have been bug fixes released, an they contained a few "extras", but the core offering in the script is starting to lag behind what it's competitors offer.

I know about Flarum, NodeBB, Discourse. Which one is best between them? And why your grievance against XenForo?
Probably because 2.2 was released nearly 3 years ago, and there has been very little in the way of communication what is the hold up. A year ago one of the devs said that "Have You Seen" series for 2.3 would start in a matter of weeks - but it didn't.

And just now, half an hour ago, the "XF 2.3 ?" thread in Off-Topic category was locked, so people can't even talk about the situation anymore (not sure if new threads about the same concern/topic would be locked as well, but I'm not going to be the one to try).

Anyway, we all continue to have our fingers crossed that there's some positive news and updates coming sooner rather than later.

And just now, half an hour ago, the "XF 2.3 ?" thread in Off-Topic category was locked, so people can't even talk about the situation anymore (not sure if new threads about the same concern/topic would be locked as well, but I'm not going to be the one to try).
Probably would.. instead of using moderation and dealing with the issue in it directly, it was more convenient to kill the thread.

Probably because 2.2 was released nearly 3 years ago, and there has been very little in the way of communication what is the hold up. A year ago one of the devs said that "Have You Seen" series for 2.3 would start in a matter of weeks - but it didn't.

Anyway, we all continue to have our fingers crossed that there's some positive news and updates coming sooner rather than later.
I took a look at the alternative open source forums that the above user recommended, and I really like them, although they're weird looking for being so modern, and they lack everything XenForo offers, like a download section, or a video-player like Gallery, and I feel like God wanted me to use XenForo, my only question is how? It's pretty obsolete like the others have said.
Also if you don't mind @markku, I feel like God wanted me to deliver this message for you: Do you know how to get saved? Watch this video to know that you don't have to go to hell:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then, what about IPS? They update a whole lot faster, have you checked them out? They're older than XenForo. (I hope this post doesn't get me banned for mentioning the alternativeEdit:Competition).

It's a great script... and it works overall well (mainly some editor issues).
There's just a concern with many license holders about the long term viability of it. I've had my gripes, but I still renewed my "active" site license recently and am probably going to renew my inactive one also, as for what I need, it works fine.
Many of us would like to see some developer interaction since it's been quiet for over a year.

XF w/Resource Manager should suit your every need. As far as other solutions I don't care to comment on those here at XF. But I will say since your project is some years off, you have the luxury of seeing what the others are talking about above as far as XF's future.

Top Bottom