FoolBotHoneyPot vs. built-in honeypots

Any difference in spam blocking between FBHP and the core honeypots?

• No difference

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes - FBHP was better

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Yes - core honeypots are better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ridemonkey

Simple question:

For those who were using FBHP before, and are now using the built-in honeypots of v1.4, have you noticed any difference in spam blocking?

I'm really disappointed that @tenants is not going to support FBHP in 1.4 and later, primarily because I use the statistics function regularly and will lose that going with 1.4. C'est la vie, I suppose - it's his addon to decide what to do with.

FBHP has been ridiculously effective in blocking spam registrations on our site.

The reporting of FBHP was good. The big difference, though, is the StopBotters API.

I would be absolutely thrilled if tenants would consider adding that StopBotters integration to XF 1.4 as a new paid product. Whatever price may cover the costs for running and maintaining the API.

The reporting of FBHP was good. The big difference, though, is the StopBotters API.

I would be absolutely thrilled if tenants would consider adding that StopBotters integration to XF 1.4 as a new paid product. Whatever price may cover the costs for running and maintaining the API.

I would certainly be willing to consider a paid product. Part of me struggles with buying the whole Anti-Spam package and only actually getting to use it for 2 months before a major component was obsoleted - I guess that's life, but it's frustrating.

However, I'm definitely not against paying for good products.

A bump to say that I finally jumped to 1.4.5 and thus killed the FBHP add-on.

Spam has noticeably gone up. It's not unmanageable - I'm not getting flooded, and things are still mostly caught by Akismet - but there are absolutely more spam registrations per day.

@tenants just FYI. As the Jackson 5 would say...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

back... and timely too, xrumer have just released a version that targets honey pots (I'm sure this is going to have an impact on xenforos core honey pots, since they only use one simple classical mechanism)

We will see over the next few months what happens once botters start adopting the latest release of xrumer
(I think it could take up to 3 months for xrumer to have a noticeable impact on xenforo, maybe sooner maybe later, but my crystal ball has been fairly accurate in the past, give or take a couple of months)

I predicted that adopting the honeypots in the core would take about 10 months to renderer them inafective (it took xrumer over a year)
I predicted that the next release of xrumer would be targeting core honey pots, looks like I hit that nail on the head:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...on-page-honey-pots.37063/page-37#post-1129233

I'm now updating foolbothoneypot, the latest version works again with 1.5 (and should with 1.4).
I'm adding various types of non classical honeypots (not just hidden fields).

Top Bottom