1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FoolBotHoneyPot vs. built-in honeypots

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Ridemonkey, Oct 2, 2014.

Any difference in spam blocking between FBHP and the core honeypots?

1. No difference

1 vote(s)
  2. Yes - FBHP was better

2 vote(s)
  3. Yes - core honeypots are better

0 vote(s)
  1. Ridemonkey

Ridemonkey Well-Known Member

Simple question:

For those who were using FBHP before, and are now using the built-in honeypots of v1.4, have you noticed any difference in spam blocking?

I'm really disappointed that @tenants is not going to support FBHP in 1.4 and later, primarily because I use the statistics function regularly and will lose that going with 1.4. C'est la vie, I suppose - it's his addon to decide what to do with.

FBHP has been ridiculously effective in blocking spam registrations on our site.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

The reporting of FBHP was good. The big difference, though, is the StopBotters API.

I would be absolutely thrilled if tenants would consider adding that StopBotters integration to XF 1.4 as a new paid product. Whatever price may cover the costs for running and maintaining the API.
  3. Ridemonkey

I would certainly be willing to consider a paid product. Part of me struggles with buying the whole Anti-Spam package and only actually getting to use it for 2 months before a major component was obsoleted - I guess that's life, but it's frustrating.

However, I'm definitely not against paying for good products.
  4. Ridemonkey

A bump to say that I finally jumped to 1.4.5 and thus killed the FBHP add-on.

Spam has noticeably gone up. It's not unmanageable - I'm not getting flooded, and things are still mostly caught by Akismet - but there are absolutely more spam registrations per day.

@tenants just FYI. As the Jackson 5 would say...