Food Fantasia

If the doner in question was from a greasy fast food joint next door to a nightclub in the UK full of drunken students and served to you by a overly hairy Turkish man who has a dodgy British accent, then no. :p

Dragonfly, this is a very popular and easy-to-follow recipe site for Turkish food: http://www.turkishcookbook.com/

I'd like to add some Turkish dishes to this thread. Have any of you guys ever tried Turkish food? it's so yummy and fresh, we eat it most nights although I do like to eat a mixture of cuisines (mainly - Indian, Turkish, Italian, Dutch, Thai, Indonesian, British...)

Pide - Turkish Pizza. Pretty easy to make yourself, but most of the restaurants do this and it's inexpensive. You can even take your own meat to the restaurant and they will use it to make your pide for you.
24zassg.jpg

Sigara börek - Pastry that is often filled with feta cheese, potato, parsley and sometimes with minced meat or sausage. A variety of vegetables, herbs and spices are used in böreks such as spinach, nettle, leek, potato, eggplant, courgette, ground black pepper. It's very delicious and a great snack, or tapas.
292mzv4.jpg

Iskender Kebab - thinly cut grilled lamb or beef basted with tomato saucehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce over pieces of pide bread and generously slathered with melted butter or yogurt. I still can't get used to eating yogurt with meat, so I usually do mine without.
246rmfo.jpg

Cacık - one of my favourite things to eat. It's seasoned, diluted yogurt (called tzatziki in Greece) it's made of yogut, salt, olive oil, crushed garlic, chopped cucumber, dill mint and lime juice. It's delicious to dip freshly made bread in to.
jjo9wl.jpg

Mantı - It's similar to our ravioli. it's typically served topped with yogurt and garlic and spiced with red pepper powder and melted butter.
10h9bbc.jpg

Menemen - Baically Turkish scrambled eggs, cooked with Mediterranean vegetables and flavourings. This can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or for dinner during the hot Summer months.
hx50md.jpg

Dolma - stuffed grape leaves sometimes called yaprak dolma with filling basically consisting of rice, minced meat or grain. In many different versions, the filling includes onion, parsley, herbs and spices. Meatless fillings are cooked with olive oil and include raisins, currants, and nuts.
1534qkm.jpg

Karnıyarık (literally meaning 'slit belly' in Turkish) is a dish consisting of an eggplant stuffed with a mix of sautéed chopped onions, garlic, black pepper, tomatoes, parsley and ground meat.
sx2ghv.jpg

Sorry I went off on a ramble then, but Turkish food really is very good. :)
I got use to eating Turkish food when I was in high school, because one of my close friends family is Turkish, and I was often there for dinner. 

Just having bacon butty tonight.

Freshly baked crusty rolls and according to the pack, mature oak smoked back bacon.

There's plenty left for another day, well a pig of such high standards is not to be eaten all at once.

Oh and just to prove I am not a food nazi... this is what my son had.. bear in mind he is a 14 year old with a pretty limited palette he won't eat curry or anything in a sauce actually, so everytime I make something like the curry we had, I have to make him something different... which ranges, but at the moment he is going through a fishfinger/stick phase.....there were veggies, just didn't want to ruin the wonderful tower so they were added after this shot.

View attachment 2319
Oh, that's an awesome combination of dinner and Jenga in one! :D

For dinner last night we had Rosemary herb roasted chicken with veggies, lemon basil rosotto, italian herb & cheese bread and a 4 tier red velvet cake that had me walking on the treadmill for about an hour this morning. LOL It all turned out pretty good, but next time I made a red velvet cake, it wont be that tall. That was sooooo sweet!

Before & After on the chicken...
1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

I'm thinking tonight we may go simple and have homemade subs. I'm craving a toasted italian sub. Mmmmm!

If the doner in question was from a greasy fast food joint next door to a nightclub in the UK full of drunken students and served to you by a overly hairy Turkish man who has a dodgy British accent, then no. :p

Dragonfly, this is a very popular and easy-to-follow recipe site for Turkish food: http://www.turkishcookbook.com/

Wow.. just had a look at that site, awesome! Lots to cook in there for sure :D

Does doner kebab count? If it does then yes I have tried it, frequently actually.

A good kebab is really nice! I love a Chicken one with all the goodies, like Hummus, tabouli, salad mmmm there is a place near here that does a good one.

Although I know someone who has twice been violently ill eating them :p so they are not always so good!

Well it's probably about time I had some breakfast.

Going to have some grainy bread toast with peanut butter :D

Evanescence, that looks almost exactly like a meal I had at a very good restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Amazing!
Thanks! It took a while to pull it all together, but it was soooo worth it. It earned me a night off cooking though. LOL Hubby felt bad for me after all that work. I'm goin for some good 'ol southern yummy chili dogs with baked beans and nachos for dinner tonight. I figured my cholesterol needed a little raisin'. LOL ;)

Top Bottom