Food Fantasia

Lots of lovely cakes and things going down in here! :D

I love them all!!!!

Jeff is making me a birthday cake today... will try to get a pic of it when it is done.

He is attempting a flourless chocolate almond cake, should be delicious!

I just went to Chili Addiction(http://www.chiliaddiction.com/), and had their Ruben (very very good), and then picked up white chocolate lemon cake and some rosemary bread at Sweet Lady Jane (http://sweetladyjane.com).

The cake is the perfect balance of sweet and tart (So is their key lime tart), and the slices are huge. Also, because I always go late I tend to get ~2 pieces for the price of one, as they need to get rid of left over stock.

Oh, I'm also in love with the pickles (made in house) at Chili addiction. Bought some of them to come home, and they have giant chunks of garlic in the brine :D.

My Birthday cake, as produced by my Hubby Jeff....

Flour-less Almond Espresso Torte

It was really lovely, super super rich and dense, this sort of cake doesn't rise and you only need a very small slice! Wonderful for those on Gluten Free diets, or those who like rich and devine small serve over large slices.

DSC00138.webp

DSC00140.webp

Recipe...

Chocolate Almond Espresso Torte

150gm Dark Chocolate, chopped.
100gm Butter
1 tbspn Instant Espresso coffee dissolved in 2tbspns water - or 1 shot of espresso if you have an espresso coffee machine.
3/4 cup Castor Sugar (superfine sugar)
3 Large Eggs separated
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
100gm Ground Almonds.

1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C and Grease and line a suitable cake tin, such as a 22cm springform pan with parchment or baking paper.

2. Melt the Chocolate and Butter together over a pan of gently simmering water, or carefully in the microwave on low-medium setting, until it is melted and smooth, allow to cool for 10 mins.

3. Add the Coffee into the melted Chocolate, stir in half a cup of the sugar, the egg yolks, vanilla and the ground almonds, combine well.

3. Beat the Egg whites until soft peaks form, add the remaining 1/4 cup of Sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.

4. Gently fold into the Chocolate mix, and pour the mixture into your prepared pan.

5. Bake for 35 - 50 mins, checking regularily after 30mins, a skewer inserted should come out clean, and there should be some surface cracking.

Chocolate Glaze

200ml Pure Cream (runny not thickened)
1 Tblspn Glucose Syrup
25gm Butter
250gm Dark Chocolate
Shot of espresso, or a splash of your fave liqueur like Grand Marnier etc

In a pan over a medium heat, warm the cream, Glucose syrup, butter and flavouring until quite hot but not boiling.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the Chocolate, stir until melted and super smooth.

Allow to cool slightly, then pour approximately half over the cake in a thin covering, refrigerate the cake until that layer is set.

Keep the rest of the glaze warm so it stays liquid, then when the first layer is set, pour the remainder over the cake, and smooth by tipping the cake to allow the glaze to run off the edges and give you a smooth surface.

Decorate as desired!

Looks like Jeff did an awesome job!! :D

He did!!! It was the first time in all our years together that he has made me a birthday cake :D I was very impressed with how dedicated he was to following the recipe to the letter!

I have to confess I helped with the glaze though and the piping of the choc mousse bits as he is not very dexterous when it comes to fine motor skills, but it was under his direction, the decoration of the Aries symbol was his idea, as was the use of the heart shaped tin, I would have been boring and used the round springform as I usually do with this cake, as it is so easy to remove it, but it all worked out really well! :D

He did!!! It was the first time in all our years together that he has made me a birthday cake :D I was very impressed with how dedicated he was to following the recipe to the letter!

I have to confess I helped with the glaze though and the piping of the choc mousse bits as he is not very dexterous when it comes to fine motor skills, but it was under his direction, the decoration of the Aries symbol was his idea, as was the use of the heart shaped tin, I would have been boring and used the round springform as I usually do with this cake, as it is so easy to remove it, but it all worked out really well! :D
Who cares about looks with cake? Its about how big a sugar crash you have afterwards (Kiers is a perfect example of the ideal cake).

Recipe...

Chocolate Almond Espresso Torte

150gm Dark Chocolate, chopped.
100gm Butter
1 tbspn Instant Espresso coffee dissolved in 2tbspns water - or 1 shot of espresso if you have an espresso coffee machine.
3/4 cup Castor Sugar (superfine sugar)
3 Large Eggs separated
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
100gm Ground Almonds.

1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C and Grease and line a suitable cake tin, such as a 22cm springform pan with parchment or baking paper.

2. Melt the Chocolate and Butter together over a pan of gently simmering water, or carefully in the microwave on low-medium setting, until it is melted and smooth, allow to cool for 10 mins.

3. Add the Coffee into the melted Chocolate, stir in half a cup of the sugar, the egg yolks, vanilla and the ground almonds, combine well.

3. Beat the Egg whites until soft peaks form, add the remaining 1/4 cup of Sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.

4. Gently fold into the Chocolate mix, and pour the mixture into your prepared pan.

5. Bake for 35 - 50 mins, checking regularily after 30mins, a skewer inserted should come out clean, and there should be some surface cracking.

Chocolate Glaze

200ml Pure Cream (runny not thickened)
1 Tblspn Glucose Syrup
25gm Butter
250gm Dark Chocolate
Shot of espresso, or a splash of your fave liqueur like Grand Marnier etc

In a pan over a medium heat, warm the cream, Glucose syrup, butter and flavouring until quite hot but not boiling.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the Chocolate, stir until melted and super smooth.

Allow to cool slightly, then pour approximately half over the cake in a thin covering, refrigerate the cake until that layer is set.

Keep the rest of the glaze warm so it stays liquid, then when the first layer is set, pour the remainder over the cake, and smooth by tipping the cake to allow the glaze to run off the edges and give you a smooth surface.

Decorate as desired!

Awesome will try this one soon for my Fiances bday :P

We went from temps in the mid 40s to a high of 82 degrees yesterday, so we marinated a sirloin steak and barbecued it on the Weber. I made some cottage fries to go with it (not the most healthy, but hey, we only live once!). Probably the first time in a week or more we've been able to cook something and sit down to dinner at the same time, since our schedules conflict quite often.

I need to look in some of the barbecue cookbooks again and find something unique to do. We tried an orzo salad last summer where we grill the veggies out on the Weber before tossing them into the orzo. I could do without the zucchini, but the corn and bell peppers really add a lot to that salad.

We went from temps in the mid 40s to a high of 82 degrees yesterday, so we marinated a sirloin steak and barbecued it on the Weber. I made some cottage fries to go with it (not the most healthy, but hey, we only live once!). Probably the first time in a week or more we've been able to cook something and sit down to dinner at the same time, since our schedules conflict quite often.

I need to look in some of the barbecue cookbooks again and find something unique to do. We tried an orzo salad last summer where we grill the veggies out on the Weber before tossing them into the orzo. I could do without the zucchini, but the corn and bell peppers really add a lot to that salad.

Mmmm BBQ, we did almost none this last Summer, too hot down here and the gas BBQ was kurput, the Weber type one takes so long to get to temp, and then if you are cooking something like steaks it always seems like such a waste, it takes an hour or more to get to temp, you cook the steaks for 5 minutes, then the charcoal is blazing away for hours afterwards doing nothing.

BBQ'd Veggies are divine! Especially peppers, but I like Zucchini too, although hubby really doesn't like it hehehe

My Weber (I have the 22" kettle) doesn't take that long to heat up. I use one of those charcoal chimneys, and if I load it halfway for burgers or a single steak, it takes maybe 15-2o minutes before the coals ash over. (It is also nice since it does not use lighter fluid--we save old newspapers and use them in the bottom to light the coals.) When I'm done, I close the top and bottom vents, and the coals extinguish rather quickly. There are usually enough left that I can reuse some of them on the next cooking.

I have a pork shoulder roast in the freezer that I need to roast...it usually takes a couple of hours on the kettle (my cooking grate has the hinged sides on it, which flip open to let you add more coal to the sides of the kettle when roasting), but makes a great pulled pork sandwich. :D

I have been obsessed with making proper sourdough bread lately... it has been very challenging I have to say, getting a starter going is not easy, but finally I now have a bouncy sourdough starter baby bubbling away happily :D

Here is my second ever loaf, very happy with this loaf apart from the split to the side of it, it is a really good loaf of sourdough, crusty and crunchy on the outside, moist, chewy and full of tang and flavour on the inside! :D

A really good artisan loaf of proper sourdough (most aren't they usually are fakes using commercial yeast) sells for between $5 - $7 here so I am well chuffed to have begun making my own as I really dislike supermarket bread.

sourdough2.webp
sourdough2a.webp

Sorry for average images, using the video cam for these.

Shouldn't this thread now be renamed Kim's Kracking Kulinary Koncoctions?

:D

hahahaha :p

Yeah it should be renamed anyway, I have been thinking that for a while now :p

We need a new title for it, Ideas peeps, ideas..

Eat Street
Cook 4 me
Food Pr0n
Eat, Eat, Eat
XenEats

Top Bottom