Font Awesome

Do you use Font Awesome?

• No - it would never have a place on my site that glorified Wing Ding wannabe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm using it now you mentioned it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shelley

So it's basically a useless poll about this "Font Awesome". You likey? your not a fan of font awesome? Cast your vote. :p

Last edited:
Some of the icons are nice to use but some others are horrid. Depending on the size used they get a bit edge'y' . For performance though it can be nice for those looking to reduce http request and such since you can host it yourself.

I have replaced most of the stock sprite images with fontawesome icons since my reason is that once you use ONE icon, there is zero overhead to use ALL of them since you only make one css call in the header.

I still have one area where I'm trying to replace the dropdown icon on the sub navigation with the fontawesome icon. The link is here

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 11.25.50 PM.webp

Some of the icons are nice to use but some others are horrid. Depending on the size used they get a bit edge'y' . For performance though it can be nice for those looking to reduce http request and such since you can host it yourself.

I'm not a fan of font awesome myself but I like to keep an open mind about it since I've seen some really nice nice implementations of it by @Sheldon. And some ******** awful ones also on various sites and locations where i think they don't suit. This polls creation is to get some idea of what peoples thoughts are of it and to get some posts such as yours posting the pros & cons of it (excellent post btw steve). At this time I'm not a fan of it but keeping an open mind it has to have it's uses from a perspective of a user that's not fond of them (me) so hopefully at sometime in the future I can change my mind and find a use for it. However, I do like custom imagery as I said before in a post "it gives character to a site) where I think font awesome falls flat since the icons are generic looking.

That being said, I doubt I'll be converted but I like to think I'll have a use for it some day.

That being said, I doubt I'll be converted but I like to think I'll have a use for it some day.
Just use a phone with high density screen 24/7 and the more you look at it, the more you will appreciate it.
I'm finding myself using XF and my site via my phone more and more so it makes a huge difference to my eyes and specially cut down on http requests, fuzzy icons.

I've been implementing it in some small areas--mostly the default XF icons that don't look right (not to say they're bad icons, just they don't fit in with my styling!). All in all I might have five used total, so far, with the possibility of more in the future. I think they're great for small icons, especially now with retina displays & mobile devices, but using SVG images gives me a lot more control.

I like it as a concept, but would like better choices. Wouldn't go overboard with use, but to complement certain bits of the site. For example I keep meaning to put an envelope next to "Inbox" because members still ask me where they can send "PMs". You don't send PMs anymore I say, you send conversations... errm, no you have conversations with people... :rolleyes:

A few recent WordPress themes I have been setting up for customers have some form of integration with FA. Allows you to use them instead of bullets etc. Makes the sites look a little more interesting, without having to use images embedded.

I do actually plan to use it for certain bits and pieces in the narrow responsive width.
It can save a lot of space on the nav bar doing so.

Yeah, for testing I had to use the same from xengallery (wasn't sure if it was Nodes For Tabs or what). It's definitely doable.

Top Bottom