Font Awesome 6 is live

Alternadiv

Oh great, another subscription.

At least that's the impression you get looking at it briefly. They should make it more clear that you get a perpetual licence for the version at time of purchase, like with XF.

Currently it looks like you're only renting pro icon and style access for $99 a year and you might have to give up your icons if you don't renew, which is terrible. You have to dig to the FAQs to figure out that's not the case.

We supported the Font Awesome 5 Kickstarter for a very reasonable sum of money and that included a "theme license" which we clarified was appropriate for inclusion with XenForo.

That license no longer exists, but we were grandfathered into it. Definitely a nice deal.

We will explore options for Font Awesome 6 in the future, but clearly for inclusion in XF it would potentially be cost prohibitive. Perhaps downgrading to Free is an option in the future, but that's pretty dicey given that styles, add-ons, ourselves use Pro icons that would potentially have no reasonable replacement.

In terms of using your own Font Awesome 6 license - if you own one - in XF I'm afraid we can't really guarantee compatibility or support. My hunch is it would be fairly challenging.

For all intents and purposes, Font Awesome 5 Pro may as well be totally free. Certainly, it is free to use for all our customers in XF and it hasn't cost us anything in the last five years.

I don't really see a compelling reason to change to a different icon-set, or support multiple icon sets.

An eventual migration from FA5 to FA6 may be more reasonable in the future (in terms of the work required), but licensing will remain an issue.

Oh great, another subscription.

At least that's the impression you get looking at it briefly. They should make it more clear that you get a perpetual licence for the version at time of purchase, like with XF.

Currently it looks like you're only renting pro icon and style access for $99 a year and you might have to give up your icons if you don't renew, which is terrible. You have to dig to the FAQs to figure out that's not the case.
This is something that has driven away a lot of past support they had, along with some other decisions that were made along the way.

I still use FontAwesome if it is included in a project I am already working with, but generally I prefer Material or other open source icon packs. There is also IcoMoon (one of the originals), Fontello and Fontastic for compiling a mix and match of different packs. I am currently in the talks with one of the designers I work with to make our own icon font because there is a specific style I wish to go with regarding several projects 🤷‍♂️.

Top Bottom