Folding@home XenForo team - Join the fight against COVID-19

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Join the fight against COVID-19

Folding@Home is a distributed computing platform which allows you to donate your unused computing (CPU and/or GPU) power to help model protein dynamics to combat diseases like Parkinsons, Cancer, Huntingtons, and COVID-19.

You can find more about the Folding@home response to COVID-19 here: Covid19 – Folding@home

Linus Tech Tips recently published a video that explains more:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The important thing is signing up and having your computers do the work, but you can also have your points attributed to the XenForo team which is 249510.

You can see how the team is doing here:

If you would like to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19 more generally please do so in one of the existing threads:

Original F@h discussion follows...

Thanks to @Steve F for bringing it up and spurring us on to create a XF team!

Last edited:
If people want to help out and have some spare processing power (Computer) you can let it idle and "fold" to help simulate possible ways to break down the virus proteins. Basically you're using the CPU & GPU power of your computer to break things down and help find ways to treat viruses among other things, like cancer.

Read this for info.
This is info directly related to folding for COVID-19 - Covid19 – Folding@home

I use to fold years ago and had forgotten about it until a user on another forum shared a link. Basically I am now using mainly my GPU (Team eVGA - ) for the main source of folding.

Maybe the XenForo community would like to start a team, not sure on the process but I think it would be a great way to help pass time while home.

If people want to help out and have some spare processing power (Computer) you can let it idle and "fold" to help simulate possible ways to break down the virus proteins. Basically you're using the CPU & GPU power of your computer to break things down and help find ways to treat viruses among other things, like cancer.

Read this for info.
This is info directly related to folding for COVID-19 - Covid19 – Folding@home

I use to fold years ago and had forgotten about it until a user on another forum shared a link. Basically I am now using mainly my GPU (Team eVGA - ) for the main source of folding.

Maybe the XenForo community would like to start a team, not sure on the process but I think it would be a great way to help pass time while home.
Great idea.

XenForo team is: 249510

@Chris D was doing it - not sure if he still is as the fans in his computer were working overdrive to keep it cool.
I tend to leave my iMac running overnight, but booted into Windows.

While booted into Windows it can use the GPU for folding as well as the CPU which isn't supported on macOS.

It is a little distracting keeping it running during the day so I tend not to.

Bonus of running it overnight is that my office is nice and warm when I start work in the morning :D

XenForo team is: 249510
Are you sure?
It doesn't exist:
1585028233799.webp

Yep

F2C441A2-3FE3-4B22-920C-892033EC4B76.webp

I would mostly ignore their stats page. It can hardly keep up. Also maybe there are just no stats to show yet.

Now you can see why I boot my Mac into Windows.

For some reason I didn't receive any WUs for the CPU overnight, but the Radeon 580X Pro looks to have done a fairly good job. And if I'm reading this right then it's about 15 minutes away from completing a 59,000 point WU.

Booted into macOS it wouldn't have used the GPU at all.

I'm thinking we should have a separate thread for F@H so I will probably move these posts out shortly.

Linus Tech Tips posted a new video a couple of days ago about Folding@home:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have moved the posts out of the Cornavirus thread so we can just mostly focus on F@h discussion here.

89949092_10159865827224129_1431962772458962944_o.webp

I had this up and running on my spare Ubuntu desktop the other day, but the stats crapped out after a few hours (running it headless).

Totally optional but if you wanted to add the XF team number you can just click "Change identity" and add the XF team number in there: 249510

Doesn't matter either way, the important thing is we're helping.

FWIW I think we should keep this going for as long as we can and watch it grow over time.F@H is so busy it's actually fairly possible we might not even see many COVID-19 WUs but long after this is all over and done with we can still contribute and still play a part in research for other illnesses, including cancer 👊

Top Bottom