Browser issue Flash Uploader issue Firefox and XF

trapped_soul

Hi all,
There's a bug with flash and using the flash uploader since an update ran yesterday.
Basically you get whitespace but the button does still work.
I've removed Flash and cleaned everything up, but can confirm this has also been replicated elsewhere.

As posted elsewhere by another member, a workaround is here;
.swfupload
{
position: absolute;
z-index: 1;
}

And add (in red):

.swfupload
{
position: absolute;
z-index: 1;
width: 0px !important;
}

Save and the problem goes away.

As I said, removing Flash and re-adding it doesn't work, clearing caches etc all fails and this happens here as well as on our site and others regardless of styles etc.
Thank you
Screenshot;
bug.webp

Last edited:
Worth noting that it didn't seem to happen to me. A browser add-on may be involved. The workaround appears to just effectively be hiding the element.

I noticed this yesterday as well, I had just switched PCs and did a fresh install of FF (no profile import) so I thought it was just me.

What I did to fix it was change the FF settings Tools > Add-ons > Plugins > Shockwave Flash (runnig 23.0 r0) and set that to Ask to Activate (it was set to "Always Activate") and restarted FF, the button loaded properly then.

FYI I set to "Ask to Activate" because of the FF browser crashing/locking issue when opening multiple tabs of XF threads in rapid succession. On my fresh install, it didn't do this (default is "always Activate")

I often check threads only a few times/day and right-click+T on a bunch in one shot or open a bunch via email in one shot and that regularly causes the browser to lock and I have to force it closed (kill process), disabling flash completely eliminates that problem.

Incidentally when the button was whited out, clicking where it should be brought up a Choose File window in Win 7. When I made the above change and the Upload a File button was back again, I got the normal "Upload a File" overlay with the "browse" button, seems that the whited-out button went right to what would happen if you click the "browse" button. It was really odd but I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice this.

Top Bottom