Flarum: the real competitor of XenForo?

Do you like Flarum?

• Yes, it looks and feels nice

• No, I don't like it

Results are only viewable after voting.
People never seem to be able to grasp the concept of a successful forum.

Look at Flarum. Look at Vanilla. Same kind of 'anti-forum' layout with the content all messily slapped on the first page.

Now look at forums as a whole - how many big, successful forums can you count on one hand that use that design and layout?

The answer is none. No big, successful forum uses that layout, and there's a reason for that.

No. Flarum is not, nor ever will be a real competitor to XenForo. Nor will it be for IPB, vBulletin, PHPBB or any other traditional forum system.

Imagine trying to run something like AVForums or DigitalPoint on that style forum system. They'd be dead in 5 seconds.

I have looked at it but didnt like it, to plain, to flat, no use really. THey are not filling a void, Between the current software available, this one is not worth my time trying.

I think for forums with a more traditional approach, Xenforo will be the right solution also in the future ... while Flarum seems to become a really great solution for a more dynamic forum approach (with the ability to assign a thread to more than one category/forum etc.).

Flarum looks like it has potential.

Did you know that XenForo fans also posted about XF on vBulletin com/org forums?

I'm just sharing the news which I'm sure is of interest for all of us forum admins.
I am always on the lookout for admins who don't mind competitor promotion. PC your site and Il see if I can ask your members if my forum is a good alternative to yours :p

Look at Flarum. Look at Vanilla. Same kind of 'anti-forum' layout with the content all messily slapped on the first page.

Now look at forums as a whole - how many big, successful forums can you count on one hand that use that design and layout?

The answer is none. No big, successful forum uses that layout, and there's a reason for that.

No. Flarum is not, nor ever will be a real competitor to XenForo. Nor will it be for IPB, vBulletin, PHPBB or any other traditional forum system.

Imagine trying to run something like AVForums or DigitalPoint on that style forum system. They'd be dead in 5 seconds.
I guess you never heard of StackExchange and their network of highly successful forums which use a similar layout to Flarum..

I guess you never heard of StackExchange and their network of highly successful forums which use a similar layout to Flarum..
StackExchange is not a forum, is not set out like a forum, and has no real forum style community.

You go to a stack exchange site for Q&A, not for general discussion. You also don't tend to have one on one conversations.

I remember when XenForo went live, a lot of reactions were "It's so simple" "It's nothing compared to XXXXX" "Looks bland" etc. Now look where XenForo is :D It's due to the dedication and hardwork by the developers and the amazing community that has made XenForo grow to what it is today.

There's a lot to improve and I'm sure with what we've seen from the XF team up until now, the software will keep improving, no doubt. Thus I feel that flarum won't be a competitor to XenForo as a product, but yes it can be a competitor to communities using XenForo (communities of the same niche and such).

It's too early to say that though, it'll take Flarum a good 2 to 3 years (minimum) to have their current roadmap complete or near completion. XenForo isn't going to be idle all that while, with 2.0 coming out I don't think there would be any competition to XenForo.

Times are changing, and we need to move ahead and leave behind the traditional "forum" we are used to in order to not lose out to competition.

What is the goal of a forum? Discussion, community, member to member interaction, everything depends on content.

I'm not saying we need to go 100% on the route to Flarum/Vanilla/NodeBB but things need to get better and we need to stop trying to cling to the past.

This, like Vanilla, is something I'd consider if I ran a hosting support forum or something trivial like that. For my community with 2000 page threads, categories, sub-categories and millions of posts it's a navigational nightmare. Too simple.

Sitepoint
Now look at how active discussion is. Even if you go back 5, 10 pages, most threads have 1 or no replies.

Sitepoint died years ago. They destroyed the community they'd built up when they started screwing around with vBulletin in about 2010.

This isn't a setup I'd use (I much prefer IPB, vB, XenForo, etc.), but it's got a nice simplicity. It would lend itself well to a small site, or any site that isn't as concerned with organization and just wants more sort of current event discussion. I'm sure it will do well enough as it will find a niche market where it's popular.

Hi guys,

As many of you know, a few days ago the first beta of Flarum was released: Flarum Beta is here! - Flarum Community

What is Flarum? Well, it is a new forum software with interesting innovation. It really looks promising: Flarum – Forums Made Simple. Flarum is coded by Toby Zerner and Franz Liedke.

Do you like it?

Thanks,
Super120
Thanks for sharing it. It may have a hard time getting adopted by those of us still slain by the speed and simplicity of XF.

I will say that I do love how you scroll through all the posts on 1 page. XF has gotta adopt that.

StackExchange is not a forum, is not set out like a forum, and has no real forum style community.

You go to a stack exchange site for Q&A, not for general discussion. You also don't tend to have one on one conversations.
So much this. StackExchange is NOT a forum. It is a competition for who writes the best response.

Flarum looks like Gmail Inbox got into a car wreck with Vanilla Forums. I would NEVER participate in a forum like that.

Top Bottom