XF 2.2 Fitting smilies?

Robert9

I have searched now for the last ten minutes and found thousands of smilies, but really less fitting to the ones we have now.
Any idea where to find the usual ones like flowers fitting to the existing ones, please?

The XF2 smilies were originally EmojiOne, who have now rebranded as JoyPixels.

This is an XF2 smilie:
cautious_2x.webp

This is the one from the EmojiOne site:
unamused-face.webp

These are technically speaking emojis not smilies. Emojis are a standard set managed by Unicode. Every year they add a bunch of new emojis. And whenever XenForo adds support for new ones, you get the ability to use them. XenForo still support manually adding smilies so you can technically speaking add any image you want supported on your own forum.

Sure. The question is now, where to find them (solved now) and how to decrease them to the needed size for XF?
Just photoshop and down to 22*22?
Then save as gif instead png?
Or better doing one larger gif?

XenForo already has support for JoyPixels EmojiOne. You do not need to add them manually as smilies. You just turn them on in backend and any emoji shared by your members would appear as EmojiOne.

Mobile devices already have emojis integrated in their keywords. On desktops... Every OS has its own way... On Windows you can enter emojis using Win Key + ..

XenForo also has a cool feature where you can search for emojis using : so for example you want to insert a pineapple emoji... You can type :pineapple and it would show you suggestions that can be inserted right there. Like this 🍍

1621102719393.webp

We dont have to start from zero. :)
I guess that XF has not all 2200+x smilies/emojies/joypixelies on board?
So if i need a flower, i have to find that flower as file, decrease the size, upload it and give it a name and a short_cut, right?

actually it does. emojis are part of character sets. as alphabets and numbers. all modern applications support emoji so you can use them anywhere. xenforo supports a fairly recent version of unicode so you can use ANY of the emoji that you find online and it would work here (Except for the most recent ones I suppose). you do not have to manually support them.

Wow.
Means that these ones are uploaded?
/admin.php?smilies/

and a lot of more are just some code, that is translated at the endpoint.

Also it seems there is a difference from 2.2 to 2.5 (or custom changes)
In the older forum is only what is here /admin.php?smilies/
in the newer one is a lot of stuff like mentioned from you.

about this: /admin.php?smilies/

xenforo seems to keep basic smilies as images for some reason. i imagine for forums which are not updated to support emoji database format (utf8mb4).

if you are running xenforo from many years ago, you were supposed to make some changes to your config file and database format when xenforo 2 was released.

xenforo didn't support emoji on 1.x.

XenForo already has support for JoyPixels EmojiOne. You do not need to add them manually as smilies. You just turn them on in backend and any emoji shared by your members would appear as EmojiOne.
I can't find where to turn on JoyPixels (and/or other emojis) in the Admin Control panel.

emoji support requires a 2.x.x xenforo build.
it needs a database conversion if you started using xenforo from 1.x series.
it also in some cases requires a configuration line in config.php file.

assuming emojis are working on your board and you are on a 2.1.x or later build... it should be available as announced here. easiest way to find them is to type in emoji style in the search field at the top right in admin panel. or you can go to Setup > Options > Messages > Emoji style (admin.php?options/groups/messageOptions/#emojiStyle).

Reactions: GW2
Thanks guys for that information.

1. Our (XF 2.2.3) installer did not include - $config['fullUnicode'] = true; in the config.php file. Not sure why that line was omitted since it is contained in the default version.

2. I added that line to my config.php file today . All of the JoyPixels emojis load, but when I try to post a message with one of the emojis, I receive a string of database errors like this:
1625957600068.webp

Next step seems to be to ask our host to run the conversion script.

I asked our host to run the conversion script. They responded saying that our shared server does not support emojis. They suggested that I move to one of their VPS offerings (at significantly more cost).

So, two questions:
1. Are there shared servers (i.e. providers) that support emojis?
2. If not, what is it that prevents emojis on a shared server?

Top Bottom