Browser issue  First unread does not take to first unread

Ati

Hi,

It's happening more and more to me on this forum, however I cannot tell you a way to reproduce it exactly:

When I click on a post from the "What's New?" list, it should take me to the first unread post. But there are times when it just takes me to a random place on the (correct) page. Not even to a certain post. Once I ended up getting to the bottom half of an image.

This is NOT when the newest post cannot be placed to the top because the page is not that long. At those times I get put to the very bottom of the page. When this happens, I am not taken to the bottom of the page, but to a random, upper location on the page.

Firefox 3.6.13

It doesn't take me to the first post though. It takes me to a (seemingly) random place. Like the second half of a post. (I'm not at the bottom of the page.)

Is this with threads with lots of images in?

That's the only time I've experienced that.

I DID notice that it (wrongly) took me to an image at one time... Not sure about other times, but there might have been images there, too.

I've been watching it since I started the thread to be able to post a screenshot, but it hasn't happened since then.

Firefox should "reshift" the page to the correct anchor. (Chrome does that as of version 9, BTW; 8 and earlier didn't.) So it shouldn't be an issue like that, but that is basically the only thing that sounds like it. There's really nothing in our system that could take you to the middle of an image/post; that would be down to the browser.

I haven't noticed it today, although today's posts did not contain images. So it might indeed be an issue when there are images on the page. Maybe the browser positions to the right place, and the images get loaded afterwards, moving me away? That's the only thing I can think of.

If that's the case, I guess that's something you won't be able to do anything about. :(

Indeed that's exactly what happens - we actually tried to deal with it, but it's basically not possible.

I'm going to move this to a browser bug, expecting that the issue is related to images.

Top Bottom