First plug-in guidance

rEd86

OK. I've been a member of the XenForo community for since January and have been slowly digesting plug-in development over that time. (installed and did source review of a lot of great products) I am comfortable with PHP and have been working on the browser side (JavaScript, DOM, etc) for a long time. It's pretty overwhelming but I have a general understanding of how XenForo works but not a clear understanding of the execution order. Figured the only way to do that is to get my hands dirty so it is time for me to take the plunge and write my first plugin.

Ideally in this first stab at a plugin, I am going to be pulling an affiliate coded off the URL and loading information about it from the database/cache. I want to do this early in the execution of the page, but far enough along where the user data has been loaded if they have "remember me" checked.

What hook would you recommend I use for this process?

Also, what is the best way to cache that information for future requests from this user session? I can write my own cookie and cache mechanism, but I didn't know if there was an object in XenForo that I should just extend and leverage what's already being done. (this should work for both guest and unauthenticated users)

Thanks for your help.

--Ed

Top Bottom