Fixed Firefox: Editor applies formatting not only to selected paragraph

Steffen

Affected version
In Firefox, under certain circumstances the editor applies bold formatting not only to the selected paragraph but also to the following paragraphs. The attached video shows a reduced test-case. Tested in Firefox 68 on Windows and Linux. This could be a regression in XenForo 2.1.3 / Froala 2.9.6.

Attachments

First of all I can't view the mp4 file on my Firefox, is that normal? I can't download it either, as it isn't treated as an attachment. Anyway, I had to right click and do a "save target as" and could run it with VLC.

Secondly, I also encountered the same problem for the insert link button. The same bug happens for it aswell.

I can't view the mp4 file on my Firefox, is that normal? I can't download it either, as it isn't treated as an attachment.
Not sure what's wrong with the file. I captured it with ffmpeg. I've now uploaded it to YouTube:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have been experiencing this issue with Firefox 68, using 2.1.3.

I did a search before posting, but didn't see this thread. Good to know that it is a text editor bug, not XF.

Well, that's an option, but not something you really want to have to tell your entire member base. People will often have a lot of time invested in setting up a particular browser with a lot of addons for one use, and another browser for mainly another use. That kind of thing. Myself, I usually only use Chrome without addons to watch TV and video on one TV and FF on another TV with a bunch of extras for most everything else. Maybe not exactly "difficult" to make the switch, but certainly a major annoyance. :)

We may revert back to an earlier version of the browser in a future release, but for now there isn't any known workaround.

Yeah, I had to test again to confirm. It wasn't clear to me before that there has to be a line break. Well, that certainly sucks

Gack. I'm upgrading to 2.1.3 tomorrow morning and guess who on my board uses Firefox? :rolleyes:

Freaky, though. Tested it out on my dev, which is already on 2.1.3.

All in all, it's just a minor annoyance. You just have to review posts you made with any formatting, and if the editor wrongly added formatting to text you didn't want to, just go back in and edit it to make it correct.

Well, what will actually happen is a lot of people just won't take the time to edit their posts, so expect to end up with a quite a few posts that are mostly in bold or italics or both or whatever. Which also won't be the end of the world, but will be worse for some more than others, depending on the kind of content they mostly focus on. All I know is that I'll be more careful next time before upgrading, because if I'd known about this I would have just postponed upgrading till September, because whatever bugs there were before - I wasn't hearing anyone complain about those. But yeah, we'll survive. ;)

Last edited:
Another option would be to just downgrade Froala to 2.9.5 in files js/vendor/froala/froala-compiled.js, js/vendor/froala/froala_editor.min.js and js/xf/editor-compiled.js.

You can get the Froala 2.9.5 source (XF 2.1.2 ships 2.9.4, XF 2.1.3 ships 2.9.6) from the Froala website

Last edited:
If you downgrade yourself, you would just need editor-compiled.js from 2.1.2.

The next XF version will likely be in August (so shorter than the last cycle) as we need to update some of our payment handler systems for SCA compliance in September.

Downgrading to XF 2.1.2 editor-compiled.js would also reintroduce this Bug:

So this wouldn't be a valid option (to me).

Kind of our opinion from 2.2 onwards FWIW. My logic being that I can’t envisage Microsoft maintaining it for much longer especially when Edge based on Chromium is stable. Killing IE11 will give it some legitimacy. Also if we ever want to progress into using newer ECMA versions of JavaScript then it’s going to be necessary.

Top Bottom