Lack of interest Filter out currently logged in users activity from their recent activity feed

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

RobinHood

It doesn't really make sense to include the activity for the logged in user in this feed.

If you've recently been busy on the forum it just clogs it up by telling you everything you've just been doing, which I doubt that user is interested in.

upload_2016-9-22_15-38-57.webp

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's an interesting view and smaller forums probably suffer from this more than bigger ones where there is a constant flurry of activity. Perhaps an option to consolidate multiple "activity" instances. "RobinHood liked Alfa1's post and ichpen's post in threads x and Y" or "RobinHood liked posts [...]" with a drop-down.

I can't say I've ever been concerned by this but as each activity is an individual instance I doubt consolidation is that simple.

Yeah, definitely more obvious on smaller forums. But small or large, I'm still not sure activity about the logged in user is ever useful or relevant to that user in this feed.

Surely this page is about discovering new content, not look at a summary of what you've just finished doing.

If they really want to look at themselves they can look at the recent activity feed tab on their own profile.

Ahh your suggestion is to remove your own activity from your own global feed?

You can do this via an edit in news_feed_item and just wrap the whole template in:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.username} !== {$item.username}">
// template contents here
</xen:if>

Should work?

Ohh! Amazing! Cheers James,

It wasn't the whole template, but this bit of code in the template that I needed to wrap it around

Code:
            <xen:include template="news_feed_item">
                <xen:set var="$itemTemplate">{xen:raw $item.template}</xen:set>
                <xen:set var="$itemDate">{$item.event_date}</xen:set>
            </xen:include>

That cleans it up considerably.

Only slight issues is that if the first page of items are all you, then nothing will be displayed and you have to click Show older items

With each click, instead of getting a full page of 15 results sometimes you only get 1 or 2 new results or 0 depending on how many of the items on that page belong to you.

Any ideas on how to get it so that all 15 results appear with each click?

You'd need to dig into the code to remove your own information from the $newsFeed variable altogether as, technically, they still exist in there we're just choosing not to display them.

Still makes for a valid suggestion though :)

Top Bottom