XF 2.2 Filezilla host, username, password and port boxes

grobmad

Hey guys.

Trying to install xenforo....

Just downloaded it, and see its folder in my downloads.

I have Filezilla up and running, but right now the 'host' 'username' 'password' and 'port' boxes are empty.

My questions right now are

1) Do I need to fill those in before I go any further?

2) And where to I get/how do I know my host, username, password and port?

Is this basically the url that the forum will be hosted on?

You need to rent a server from a hosting company if you want to host a website (like XenForo for example).

These servers stay online 24 hours / 7 days online so when the site is hosted on it and people enter your url (which is called domain) that they land on that server and have access to your site.

To sum it up:

1) You need to purchase a domain like "xenforo.com".
2) You need to rent a server from a hosting company and they will deliver you per e-mail the username, password, port and the IP of the server.
3) You connect to the server via Filezilla using those credentials.
4) You upload your downloaded files to that server (a simple drag an drop) via Filezilla.
5) In your domain registrar (where you bought your domain) you need to point that domain to that IP of your server. So when people enter blabla.com that they land on that server. (Alternatively, use CloudFlare to do this, which is recommended).
6) The problematic part is to rent a server. If you are new and have no clue, you should go with a shared hosting so you dont have to configure or take care of the server itself. You can find here offers or like you can basically rent and go to any place as long as they meet the requirements (which 99.9% do).
1622924205506.png
7) You need to create a database (most servers have phpmyadmin to make it easy) and enter the credentials in your XF config file.

You will need to enter the FTP log in credentials in order to connect to the server.

Your host will be able to help if you don't know what they are.

You will also need to create a MySQL database and users, and grant full permissions to the user.

If you have cPanel, it can all be done using that instead.

You need to rent a server from a hosting company if you want to host a website (like XenForo for example).

These servers stay online 24 hours / 7 days online so when the site is hosted on it and people enter your url (which is called domain) that they land on that server and have access to your site.

To sum it up:

1) You need to purchase a domain like "xenforo.com".
2) You need to rent a server from a hosting company and they will deliver you per e-mail the username, password, port and the IP of the server.
3) You connect to the server via Filezilla using those credentials.
4) You upload your downloaded files to that server (a simple drag an drop) via Filezilla.
5) In your domain registrar (where you bought your domain) you need to point that domain to that IP of your server. So when people enter blabla.com that they land on that server. (Alternatively, use CloudFlare to do this, which is recommended).
6) The problematic part is to rent a server. If you are new and have no clue, you should go with a shared hosting so you dont have to configure or take care of the server itself. You can find here offers or like you can basically rent and go to any place as long as they meet the requirements (which 99.9% do).
View attachment 252878
7) You need to create a database (most servers have phpmyadmin to make it easy) and enter the credentials in your XF config file.

You, are amazing. Thank you so much for such an awesomely detailed answer.

I have my domain at siteground, I will contact them and get the necessary information then.

Thank you so much.

Reactions: sbj
You will need to enter the FTP log in credentials in order to connect to the server.

Your host will be able to help if you don't know what they are.

You will also need to create a MySQL database and users, and grant full permissions to the user.

If you have cPanel, it can all be done using that instead.
Thank you Brogan, I appreciate your assistance.

So for this, I just grab the unzipped/extracted files contained within the 'upload' folder, and drag them over to websites folder in my filezilla?

Do you happen to know if I have to put them, or if its best to put them, in the 'public_html' folder on the filezilla side contained within the websites root folder? Or can I just generally drop them under the main/root websites folder.

So for this, I just grab the unzipped/extracted files contained within the 'upload' folder, and drag them over to websites folder in my filezilla?
Yes. You can read here more about the installation (and further) process: https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/install-upgrade/

Do you happen to know if I have to put them, or if its best to put them, in the 'public_html' folder on the filezilla side contained within the websites folder? Or can I just generally drop them under the main websites folder.
If you read the manual, you see that public_html is also mentioned. This folder is most of the times the folder where you put the files.
Usually any other folder in your server is protected and people can't access it from outside. But the public_html, the name says it, is public. What you put there can be accessed from anyone from outside. Like the website you want to put.

If you are unsure you can ask your host which folder it is but that should be it.

Greeetings, due to work schedule, I couldnt finish installation process at the time of this thread.

Am completing it now.

Thought I was about to be done, hit the final button to install xenforo after connecting it to mysql, and it immediately said this

An exception occurred: [Error] Class 'XF\Mvc\Entity\ArrayCollection' not found in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Manager.php on line 519

1. XF\Mvc\Entity\Manager->getBasicCollection() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Finder.php at line 1400
  2. XF\Mvc\Entity\Finder->fetch() in src/XF/AddOn/DataManager.php at line 68
  3. XF\AddOn\DataManager->rebuildActiveAddOnCache() in src/XF/App.php at line 1414
  4. XF\App->XF\{closure}() in src/XF/Install/App.php at line 78
  5. XF\Install\App->XF\Install\{closure}() in src/XF/Container.php at line 28
  6. XF\Container->offsetGet() in src/XF/App.php at line 2317
  7. XF\App->setupAddOnComposerAutoload() in src/XF/Install/App.php at line 160
  8. XF\Install\App->setup() in src/XF.php at line 461
  9. XF::setupApp() in src/XF.php at line 484
  10. XF::runApp() in install/index.php at line 14

I remember that when I was doing the transfer, there was 1 file that 'failed'. I didnt have time to do anything about it then, and in the meantime, my filezilla was closed. When reopened and connected again to my server, it didnt show transfer history so I couldnt see what file failed.

I wonder if this is what is causing this?

And if so, does this mean I have to redo the transfer?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Just upload the files again, drag and drop.

Since you uploaded already most of the files, filezilla will tell you if you want to overwrite/rewrite those files. Just choose "skip" and it will skip duplicates and only upload not uploaded ones.

Most likely it is due to failed file uploads, yes.

You will likely need to upload all of the files again if you aren't sure of the status.

If you have cPanel or an alternative, you can upload the zip archive and extract the files directly on the server.
It's much quicker and removes any issues related to FTP and uploading.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help.

So, I just retransfered the files, and this time they all seem to have gone through fine, I just overwrote everything. There were no failed transfers.

But, it still says this

An exception occurred: [Error] Class 'XF\Mvc\Entity\ArrayCollection' not found in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Manager.php on line 519

1. XF\Mvc\Entity\Manager->getBasicCollection() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Finder.php at line 1400
  2. XF\Mvc\Entity\Finder->fetch() in src/XF/AddOn/DataManager.php at line 68
  3. XF\AddOn\DataManager->rebuildActiveAddOnCache() in src/XF/App.php at line 1414
  4. XF\App->XF\{closure}() in src/XF/App.php at line 1793
  5. XF\App->XF\{closure}() in src/XF/Container.php at line 28
  6. XF\Container->offsetGet() in src/XF/App.php at line 2317
  7. XF\App->setupAddOnComposerAutoload() in src/XF/App.php at line 1888
  8. XF\App->setup() in src/XF/Pub/App.php at line 91
  9. XF\Pub\App->setup() in src/XF.php at line 461
  10. XF::setupApp() in src/XF.php at line 484
  11. XF::runApp() in index.php at line 20

Last edited:
Most likely it is due to failed file uploads, yes.

You will likely need to upload all of the files again if you aren't sure of the status.

If you have cPanel or an alternative, you can upload the zip archive and extract the files directly on the server.
It's much quicker and removes any issues related to FTP and uploading.

I will see if I can do this, I am at siteground, so will ask them how or if I can do this.

I see that I didnt put them under the 'public' folder in filezilla, I just put them under the general/main site folder. I wonder if that could be it.

Can I just select all the files that I transfered, delete them, and try again?

Deleting them doesnt cause any permanent damage or anything, correct?

Deleted all the files from the general site folder, and put them all in the public folder.

So now the lines of errrors from above went away, but now is simply saying

------------------------------------

This arkitecthub.com page can’t be found​

No webpage was found for the web address:

HTTP ERROR 404

----------------------------------------

So unless someone has any idea what to do from here, then tomorrow I will ask my server host if they have application similar to cpanel, and I will try to go that route.

I dont understand what could be going wrong though. I overwrote all the files in the public folder, there were no errors this time.

Attachments

• install.webp
    install.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 4
what the....

Hey thank you!

I wonder why that wasnt popping up when I loaded my webpage, like it normally does.

Thank you so much.

I already started another rewriting of the files (lol), when that is done I will retry with the link you provided.

If its still a no go, I will try another route and maybe hire a tech guy to come see if they can figure it out, and stop spamming this board with my issues.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped, really does mean a lot.

Cheers.

Top Bottom