XF 1.1 Files Permissions causing 500 Internal Server Error

Shyuan

Hi,

Thanks for reading. I extracted xenForo files to my laptop, then I used Filezilla (binary mode) to upload all the files to my server. The problem is, I faced Internal Server Error when I am trying to install. Then I seek help from my hosting provider. They told me my files permissions are wrong (and something about suphp) hence the error occurred.

I was wondering why the permissions gone wrong (or they were originally set to be folders:0775 and files:0664)? As what I know, normally they supposed to be folders 755 and files 644 aren't they? did I do anything wrong in the uploading steps as per described?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

As what I know, normally they supposed to be folders 755 and files 644 aren't they?

It depends on your server configuration. But yes, those are the typical permissions.

did I do anything wrong in the uploading steps as per described?

It's not necessarily your fault. For some reason the default permissions on your server were incorrect. The permissions can be corrected after the upload.

Hi Jake, Thank you for your replies. :)

Apparently, two different hosting companies gave me the same problems (folders permissions 0775 and files permissions 0664) when I upload the contents into my server.

Ended up I decided to upload the whole .zip file then only I extract the whole forum script on server. As for the .zip file that I uploaded to the server, the permission was 0664. I extracted the .zip file, the files and folders were properly extracted (ie folders permissions 0755 and files permissions 0644). There should be no problem anymore.

However, I just don't understand what makes the files and folders permissions became 0775 and 0664 instead of 0755 and 0644. Not sure if it has something to do with FileZilla or just because of the default permissions on my server were incorrect. I will try to find out from my hosting provider. But at the same time, if anyone has the same issue, could you please let me know more about it? Your inputs will be very much appreciated! Thank you. :)

Update: My current hosting provider told me "I have changed your server default umask from 002 to 022 which was responsible for those file permissions, could you please try again? it should be working as desired now.". Problem solved :) Thank you.

Top Bottom