February 2013 Breaking Changes

The e-mail:
facebook-apps1.webp

Facebook.com =

facebook-apps.webp

Not exactly sure what changes they're talking about (I'm a little sleeping & maybe thick headed at the moment)

https://developers.facebook.com/roadmap/#february-2013

February 6, 2013

The following change will go into effect on February 6th, 2013:​
End of custom actions for content consumption
We will no longer show Custom Open Graph actions that were published simply by a user consuming content. If you own one of these actions and it was previously approved, you will have received an email from us. Developers should stop publishing these actions as doing so will return an error starting February 6th. The only actions that can be published upon a user simply consuming content are built-in actions. For more info, see this blog post.​
The following changes can be enabled/disabled using the "February 2013 Breaking Changes" migration until February 6th when it will go into effect permanently for everyone:​
Authenticated referrals going away
We will remove the Authenticated Referrals feature. You should instead use the Login Dialog.
Create_event permission required to remove attendees from event
We will require the create_event permission in order to remove attendees from an event a user admins.
Minor change to admin.getAppProperties call
When making an admin.getAppProperties call, we will now return an empty Android Key Hash field as [] instead of [""].
Canonical URLs used when fetching Open Graph objects
We will start using canonical URLs (e.g. the URL set in an og:url tag, 301/302 redirects, etc.) when fetching objects (e.g. http://graph.facebook.com?ids=http://developers.facebook.com).
Offset no longer allowed when searching posts
We will no longer allow the offset parameter to be used when searching stream posts (e.g. https://graph.facebook.com/search?q=watermelon&type=post). Please use since and until to do paging instead. For more info, check out this blog post.
Curly bracket syntax for mentioning users in notifications going away
We will no longer allow the curly bracket syntax ({USER_ID}) for mentioning users in notifications. Developers should instead use the new syntax (@[USER_ID]).
Removing ability to post to friends walls via Graph API
We will remove the ability to post to a user's friends' walls via the Graph API. Specifically, posts against [user_id]/feed where [user_id] is different from the session user, or stream.publish calls where the target_id user is different from the session user, will fail. If you want to allow people to post to their friends' timelines, invoke the feed dialog. Stories that include friends via user mentions tagging or action tagging will show up on the friend’s timeline (assuming the friend approves the tag). For more info, see this blog post.​
The following change can be enabled/disabled using the "Picture as Dictionary" migration until February 6th when it will go into effect permanently for everyone:​
Picture connection/field may return a dictionary
We will start returning a dictionary containing the fields url, height, width, and is_silhouette when accessing the /picture connection for an object and specifying a callback property, a redirect=false parameter, or getting the picture field as part of a larger JSON response.​
March 6, 2013

The following changes can be enabled/disabled using the "March 2013 Breaking Changes" migration until March 6th when they will go into effect permanently for everyone:​
No more accessing mailbox FQL tables without a user session
It will not longer be possible to access the message, thread, or mailbox_folder FQL tables without a user session.
Removing apps from /me/accounts/
We will no longer show apps under /me/accounts/ in the Graph API. You can access the list of apps a user is a developer on by hitting /me/applications/developer/.
Removing redirect to docs when hitting graph.facebook.com
We will no longer return a redirect to the Graph API docs when hitting the URL http(s)://graph.facebook.com with no path.​
April 3, 2013

The following changes can be enabled/disabled using the "April 2013 Breaking Changes" migration until April 3rd when they will go into effect permanently for everyone:​
Removing ability to POST to USER_ID/questions
As it's no longer possible for users to create questions, we will remove this functionality from the Graph API. POSTs to USER_ID/questions will fail.
Removing version property/column
We will remove the 'version' column from the 'group' FQL table and the 'group' Graph API object.​

^ So for the next 3 months (February, March, April) it would seem Facebook is phasing out all those apps that would lead you away from Facebook (If I understand correctly).

Another reason to remove it from forums.​

Attachments

• facebook-apps1.webp
    facebook-apps1.webp
    26 KB · Views: 7
End of custom actions for content consumption
We will no longer show Custom Open Graph actions that were published simply by a user consuming content. If you own one of these actions and it was previously approved, you will have received an email from us. Developers should stop publishing these actions as doing so will return an error starting February 6th. The only actions that can be published upon a user simply consuming content are built-in actions. For more info, see this blog post.
XenForo doesn't publish any actions (builtin or custom).

Authenticated referrals going away
We will remove the Authenticated Referrals feature. You should instead use the Login Dialog.
We don't have referrals.

Create_event permission required to remove attendees from event
We will require the create_event permission in order to remove attendees from an event a user admins.
We don't deal with events and stuff.

Minor change to admin.getAppProperties call
When making an admin.getAppProperties call, we will now return an empty Android Key Hash field as [] instead of [""].
We don't manage apps.

Canonical URLs used when fetching Open Graph objects
We will start using canonical URLs (e.g. the URL set in an og:url tag, 301/302 redirects, etc.) when fetching objects (e.g. http://graph.facebook.com?ids=http://developers.facebook.com).
We let Facebook crawl our pages. The canonical url is set properly most of the time.

Offset no longer allowed when searching posts
We will no longer allow the offset parameter to be used when searching stream posts (e.g. https://graph.facebook.com/search?q=watermelon&type=post). Please use since and until to do paging instead. For more info, check out this blog post.
We don't search for posts from Facebook.

Curly bracket syntax for mentioning users in notifications going away
We will no longer allow the curly bracket syntax ({USER_ID}) for mentioning users in notifications. Developers should instead use the new syntax (@[USER_ID]).
We don't push notifications to Facebook.

Removing ability to post to friends walls via Graph API
We will remove the ability to post to a user's friends' walls via the Graph API. Specifically, posts against [user_id]/feed where [user_id] is different from the session user, or stream.publish calls where the target_id user is different from the session user, will fail. If you want to allow people to post to their friends' timelines, invoke the feed dialog. Stories that include friends via user mentions tagging or action tagging will show up on the friend’s timeline (assuming the friend approves the tag). For more info, see this blog post.
We don't publish spamy posts to user's friend's timeline.

TL;DR: Nothing to worry unless you have installed some add-on that does one of those.

The e-mail:
View attachment 40016

Facebook.com =

View attachment 40017

Not exactly sure what changes they're talking about (I'm a little sleeping & maybe thick headed at the moment)

https://developers.facebook.com/roadmap/#february-2013

^ So for the next 3 months (February, March, April) it would seem Facebook is phasing out all those apps that would lead you away from Facebook (If I understand correctly).​
Another reason to remove it from forums.​
You did misunderstand.

Here's a break down of the Feb changes and how they won't affect us.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/february-2013-breaking-changes.44106/#post-473997

TL;DR: Nothing to worry unless you have installed some add-on that does one of those.
To further ratify xfrocks' post, I have enabled all of the current breaking changes on my Facebook apps.

I have experienced no errors or loss in functionality.

Furthermore, my add-ons, Social Connect and Friend Inviter both still work too.

Didn't you read this?
I read it, no offence to xfrocks but with anything like this, it's a developers word that I'm looking for because anyone can post anything on the internet in reality. That said:
To further ratify xfrocks' post, I have enabled all of the current breaking changes on my Facebook apps.

I have experienced no errors or loss in functionality.
This is useful information, thank you for (essentially) using your site as a guinea pig.

I had this notice, I just went into the options and enabled the "Breaking Changes" to Yes or Enabled or whatever then clicked save and the notice went away. LOL I hope that took care of whatever their issue was.

I read it, no offence to xfrocks but with anything like this, it's a developers word that I'm looking for because anyone can post anything on the internet in reality.
xfrocks is a developer. He knows what he's talking about.

What exactly did you need to enable?

Thanks
In the Advanced settings of your Facebook App:
Jv1iz7Y.png

The alert relates to the February changes going live tomorrow, but there's actually a number of other breaking changes happening over the next few months. I have enabled all breaking changes (this migrates you to them almost immediately) and I have had no problems at all.

I had this notice, I just went into the options and enabled the "Breaking Changes" to Yes or Enabled or whatever then clicked save and the notice went away. LOL I hope that took care of whatever their issue was.

They're providing a service. There's many people out there who rely on Facebook functionality in their app and use many more aspects of it than we do for simple logging on and other things. So, they don't have an issue, as such, but they are just making sure we're not going to wake up tomorrow and all hell has broken loose because our applications don't work.

As it happens, the changes don't affect our type of usage so we can enable the changes immediately without concern.

My site and the official xenforo page just started randomly pushing to facebook for some sort of permission request. I think it might have something to do with these changes. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! lol hopefully we can get a fix ASAP. Looks like XF is going to have to publish an update because this is going to cripple ALL XF sites.

My site and the official xenforo page just started randomly pushing to facebook for some sort of permission request. I think it might have something to do with these changes. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! lol hopefully we can get a fix ASAP. Looks like XF is going to have to publish an update because this is going to cripple ALL XF sites.

Same. All of my sites do it as well. Logging out of Facebook fixes it.

Uncheck the box for "Enable Facebook Like / Recommend Feature" under Facebook integration in your options for the time being. That seemed to fix it on my site. I think the error is on Facebook's side of things, not with our apps to allow registration. My first instinct was to check my app on Facebook and see what I could do. I got the same error when trying to go into that.

Top Bottom