1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February 2013 Breaking Changes

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Brandon Sheley, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

2. Luis

Luis Well-Known Member

I have the same and no idea what needs to be done.
  3. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

The e-mail:

Facebook.com =

Not exactly sure what changes they're talking about (I'm a little sleeping & maybe thick headed at the moment)

^ So for the next 3 months (February, March, April) it would seem Facebook is phasing out all those apps that would lead you away from Facebook (If I understand correctly).

Another reason to remove it from forums.​

Attached Files:

0xym0r0n likes this.
  4. Luis

Luis Well-Known Member

5. xfrocks

xfrocks Well-Known Member

XenForo doesn't publish any actions (builtin or custom).

We don't have referrals.

We don't deal with events and stuff.

We don't manage apps.

We let Facebook crawl our pages. The canonical url is set properly most of the time.

We don't search for posts from Facebook.

We don't push notifications to Facebook.

We don't publish spamy posts to user's friend's timeline.

TL;DR: Nothing to worry unless you have installed some add-on that does one of those.
  6. Luis

Luis Well-Known Member

xfrocks, thank you very much for the information.
  7. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Same here. Safe to ignore then?
  8. MYstIC G

MYstIC G Active Member

This. It basically seems like we all get to wait until tomorrow to see if anything breaks?
  9. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

10. Chris D

You did misunderstand.

Here's a break down of the Feb changes and how they won't affect us.

Adam Howard likes this.
  11. Chris D

To further ratify xfrocks' post, I have enabled all of the current breaking changes on my Facebook apps.

I have experienced no errors or loss in functionality.

Furthermore, my add-ons, Social Connect and Friend Inviter both still work too.
    MYstIC G and jmurrayhead like this.
  12. MYstIC G

MYstIC G Active Member

I read it, no offence to xfrocks but with anything like this, it's a developers word that I'm looking for because anyone can post anything on the internet in reality. That said:
    This is useful information, thank you for (essentially) using your site as a guinea pig.
  13. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

What exactly did you need to enable?

14. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

I had this notice, I just went into the options and enabled the "Breaking Changes" to Yes or Enabled or whatever then clicked save and the notice went away. LOL I hope that took care of whatever their issue was.
  15. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

xfrocks is a developer. He knows what he's talking about.
  16. Chris D

In the Advanced settings of your Facebook App:

The alert relates to the February changes going live tomorrow, but there's actually a number of other breaking changes happening over the next few months. I have enabled all breaking changes (this migrates you to them almost immediately) and I have had no problems at all.

They're providing a service. There's many people out there who rely on Facebook functionality in their app and use many more aspects of it than we do for simple logging on and other things. So, they don't have an issue, as such, but they are just making sure we're not going to wake up tomorrow and all hell has broken loose because our applications don't work.

As it happens, the changes don't affect our type of usage so we can enable the changes immediately without concern.
    Rho Delta and Brandon Sheley like this.
  17. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

My site and the official xenforo page just started randomly pushing to facebook for some sort of permission request. I think it might have something to do with these changes. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! lol hopefully we can get a fix ASAP. Looks like XF is going to have to publish an update because this is going to cripple ALL XF sites.
  18. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Same. All of my sites do it as well. Logging out of Facebook fixes it.
  19. Mc21

Mc21 Member

Uncheck the box for "Enable Facebook Like / Recommend Feature" under Facebook integration in your options for the time being. That seemed to fix it on my site. I think the error is on Facebook's side of things, not with our apps to allow registration. My first instinct was to check my app on Facebook and see what I could do. I got the same error when trying to go into that.
    RastaLulz and lantek like this.
  20. RastaLulz

RastaLulz Well-Known Member

I've gotten reports of people having to sign out of Facebook just to access my forums due to Facebook redirecting them to a permissions request page.

I can confirm that Mc21's method of preventing my issue works. Thanks!