Features inquiry

kaiasgram

I'm setting up a forum for a local community of health care providers. The features we are looking for:

* Completely private forum (guests cannot view any part of the forum)
* Membership must be approved by Admin
* Style-wise -- Need just two 'sections' (Announcements and Topics) with list of threads on front page, exactly like this example: http://cpaptalk.com

Are these things doable with XF, and if so, would they involve installing a plug-in or changing code, or built into ACP?

TIA for your help.

It's not possible to prohibit all access to guests as the basic view permission allows access to some content.

Manual approval is possible.

It is possible to set the index page route to a specific forum, which would show a list of threads in that forum on the landing page.

That's a good idea, I'll do that. Because of the nature of our work (therapists) we really need to have approved members only viewing the discussions on the forum.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently the Members tab is visible to guests, but that will change with the release of 1.4.

That should then provide the level of privacy you require.

OK, so I'm trying to create a demo and there seems to be a hiccup on your site -- I'm entering the requested number and my email, and the same page (requesting number and email) keeps appearing. Can't get past that page to create a demo.:unsure:

OK, so I'm trying to create a demo and there seems to be a hiccup on your site -- I'm entering the requested number and my email, and the same page (requesting number and email) keeps appearing. Can't get past that page to create a demo.:unsure:

It's happening to me as well. It re directs back to that page.

I'm sure @Mike will look into it when he comes online.

Oops, sorry about that. Demo sorted now.

I should note that you don't have to give guests viewing permissions. That will make the forum entirely private. (They'll see a login page basically everywhere, except for a few places such as registration and some of the help pages.)

Thanks. I've started working with the online Demo -- going back to my OP can you take a look at the example I posted the link to (the cpap forum home page here) and tell me how I would format a XF site like that? I especially like that the thread titles are bolded in the list of threads. Would "Announcements" and "Topics" on their site be category nodes or forum nodes on XF? I don't want any nesting, just the two sections with the list of threads on the home page.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks again for your help.

Thread titles can be styled.

Topics in phpBB are threads in XenForo.
Announcements are a specific type of thread.

There isn't the equivalent of 'Announcement' threads in XenForo, but you can make sticky threads.

Would "Announcements" and "Topics" on their site be category nodes or forum nodes on XF?Hope this makes sense, and thanks again for your help.
Announcements such as those you'd have in phpBB and vBulletin don't exist, per se. However, if you want to make an impression on people visiting a certain forum, you can use the Notices tool to your advantage if you want to highlight something of importance, from which you could link to a thread or page. These can actually be more visible than an announcement item would be.

Top Bottom