Not a bug FB Connect no longer works in chrome to register an account

Cannot confirm.

I registered via Facebook on a site earlier today and just now at XFshowcase for good measure.

I'd say not a bug tbh.

(Latest Chrome, Windows 8 64-bit)

Doesn't work for him either and he confirmed watching my debug logs the SDK is outdated. https://www.facebook.com/shawnsspace Can confirm from his profile he is a programmer at facebook.. also one of the head moderators of the developement group too.. Might wanna chime in there chris if your a member of the group...

Almost everything XenForo uses is very outdated.
Nothing new. It just starts breaking.

Hopefully the owners of the code will have their internal troubles solved soon.

Incorrect.

It only doesn't work for Mike due to very specific reasons and how he uses Facebook on his forum.

I'm actually slightly confused as to why Mike has provided a guide telling people how to modify core XenForo files because most people don't actually need the fixes. You go to any XenForo website, use Facebook integration and it will work fine in any browser on any OS.

You go to Mike's site specifically it won't work for very specific reasons.

I'm not saying things aren't out of date, obviously they are. But in this particular situation it is not a widespread issue or cause for concern. It's certainly not the case that you can describe XenForo as "falling apart" over this one thing.

I'm actually slightly confused as to why Mike has provided a guide telling people how to modify core XenForo files because most people don't actually need the fixes. You go to any XenForo website, use Facebook integration and it will work fine in any browser on any OS.

You go to Mike's site specifically it won't work for very specific reasons.
I'm not saying things aren't out of date, obviously they are. But in this particular situation it is not a widespread issue or cause for concern. It's certainly not the case that you can describe XenForo as "falling apart" over this one thing.

No it is hit and miss for connecting even outside of canvas (confirmed with FB debug tools), plus this might have been useful for someone that uses xF -> Facebook the same way I do. SDK is very outdated, so why not update it? Yes, it isn't fully broken yet, just 100% within canvas and hit and miss otherwise, but if there is major changes like there was to latest SDK why not update it before it fully breaks?

As for Open Graph that is broke, updating OD info will not update on a hard refresh without that fix, only without the fix I posted, OG only refreshes whenever FB refreshes OG cache.

Its just not fair to just have us sit around without updates. Its long enough. Even being in court doesn't mean they cant keep going ahead. It's getting to me now.

I don't use Facebook but what I want to know is must I or not apply Mike fix for my Facebook users?
Mike sourced well his information. Chris is certainly the developer here who have the most experience with Facebook api.

Could both of you please agree to reply to the previous question?

I don't use Facebook but what I want to know is must I or not apply Mike fix for my Facebook users?
Mike sourced well his information. Chris is certainly the developer here who have the most experience with Facebook api.

cosign.

I am not disagreeing with Mike. I do agree with some of his points, but what I am about to say is based on purely my own experience:

I have not yet been onto a XenForo website (where the Facebook Integration feature is being used in default circumstances) where I have found registering or logging in with Facebook to have issues. I am yet to see widespread reports of the "hit and miss" nature that Mike Edge describes - there's certainly no one here who seems to be experiencing this.

My personal opinion is, and this is true of most things really, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you start experiencing issues then absolutely his fix is worth doing. If everything is working as expected then maybe there's not much reason to.

But, at the same time, there's not much to say you shouldn't apply the fix. It's perfectly safe to do so as long as you feel comfortable editing core files and you remember what you've changed in case you upgrade or replace your files for whatever reason.

Mike did a great job pointing out these issues. Well done Mike.

So this is an update to prevent problems in the future and if this hack is well coded (I know nothing about Fb api and don't want to spend time on it), it can be done perfectly safely.
So thank you Mike for the time you spent to update a core function of XenForo and may be to have helped XenForo developers to point out this information.

I am developing an application 100% inside facebook, like the one I was doing for vB3 before the application they are selling (sure was a coincidence that came out shortly after some vB dev's saw mine), so with me using xF fully inside Facebook, my mileage might vary a bit differently. Also for anyone wanting to apply this update and doesn't feel comfortable editing core files, feel free to contact me and I can walk you though it or apply it for you.

Mike did a great job pointing out these issues. Well done Mike.

So XF just loads the JS SDK from FB, and the URL hasn't changed -- the recommended code is still the same, so I don't see how we can be out of date with that if it's what FB is serving. I did make a minor bug fix to our channel page, but even that is still what's recommended.

There's talk about JS SDK login buttons, which XF doesn't use. We basically do the server-based OAuth flow. I did adjust some FB login redirect URLs to use the latest version, but that shouldn't apply.

So really, I don't think there's much to do on the XF side "officially".

Top Bottom