Favorite Web Browser?

Favorite Browser

• Total voters
I love and hate them all:

IE: Have not been able to get it to stop crashing, well, at least IE 8 was that way. Hate the new square look. Confuses me. Confounds me. But it's still the most popular and it is certainly faster than it was before. Oh wait, I think there's something underneath the address bar I have to click and approve...

Firefox: Don't care for the new look. Has a memory leak that never goes away, slows down everything, requires force quit - could it be the 4 plugins I run - and that's it? Don't know as everyone complains. But it is fast, firebug works well, has some smooth efficiency, easy to use and very compact on the netbook. Most everything is compatible with Mozilla.

Chrome: Real love hate. Very fast, some very intuitive features, is always the one browser that things do not work with for reasons I can't explain. Occasionally now has memory leaks and slows down the system.

Safari: It's Apple so I'm always looking for the moment when I'll be paying them for something. It works well, pretty quick, does the job. Reminds me most of Mozilla but I happen to like Mozilla's layout and ease of use more.

Opera: Never use it since none of my users do and I already have four browsers installed. Do I need a fifth? Maybe...

I love and hate them all:

IE: Have not been able to get it to stop crashing, well, at least IE 8 was that way. Hate the new square look. Confuses me. Confounds me. But it's still the most popular and it is certainly faster than it was before. Oh wait, I think there's something underneath the address bar I have to click and approve...

Firefox: Don't care for the new look. Has a memory leak that never goes away, slows down everything, requires force quit - could it be the 4 plugins I run - and that's it? Don't know as everyone complains. But it is fast, firebug works well, has some smooth efficiency, easy to use and very compact on the netbook. Most everything is compatible with Mozilla.

Chrome: Real love hate. Very fast, some very intuitive features, is always the one browser that things do not work with for reasons I can't explain. Occasionally now has memory leaks and slows down the system.

Safari: It's Apple so I'm always looking for the moment when I'll be paying them for something. It works well, pretty quick, does the job. Reminds me most of Mozilla but I happen to like Mozilla's layout and ease of use more.

Opera: Never use it since none of my users do and I already have four browsers installed. Do I need a fifth? Maybe...
Give Opera a try for ~1 week and try to learn to use it (It has a learning curve, most people complain its harder to get use to but once you do you usually don't want to switch back).

I'd have stayed with Firefox is they stopped bloating it and kept it a lean browser with an extensible add-on system and fixed those leaks (They've been there since early versions...).

Chrome is my secondary browser, and I mostly use it for Google Docs, but I'll use it for a few other things as well. Its got a lot of potential, I just always have minor issues that annoy me.

I don't bother with IE or Safari :rolleyes:.

When a browser will have have speed like Chrome, extensions like Firefox, features (such as gestures and smooth scrolling...) like Opera and font rendering as Safari it would be the perfect browser. :)
For now, I use Chrome the most, Opera is on the second place for me.

When a browser will have have speed like Chrome, extensions like Firefox, features (such as gestures and smooth scrolling...) like Opera and font rendering as Safari it would be the perfect browser. :)
For now, I use Chrome the most, Opera is on the second place for me.
Opera is faster for me than Chrome is... The way my home network is setup prefetching actually slows it down, and without prefetching it is slightly laggy.

IE has been mothballed for me since 2001. I use it only for Windows Update because I'm forced to. I keep it updated but only because I'm anal like that.

Opera is a nice browser but every time I try it again, there seems to be a random issue that keeps me away from it. Years ago it wouldn't render one specific website correctly, even though the code was perfectly valid. Later it was was some sort of incompatibility (or didn't even support) a certain kind of code or app or something - I don't remember. And more recently, it just wasn't rendering the CSS on any website I visited. All the troubleshooting in the world didn't help. So it seems that for whatever reason, Opera never makes the cut for me.

Chrome. Tried it, used it for 4 months last year, and tolerated its occasional sluggishness and timeouts. But then came the infernal Error 346 that so many people get with Chrome, and Google pretty much ignores requests from dozens of users to fix it. It's been going on for over a year at least. It happens randomly, and for one specific site it happens 100% of the time. The error looks like this:
Error 346 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_LENGTH): Unknown error.
If not for that, I'd still be using Chrome.

Firefox has given me grief in the past, but not so much these days. In fact I've had very little problem with version 4. The new look takes getting used to, but I'm not THAT anal. I've been using Firefox as my main browser since version 0.9. Before that, I used Mozilla. So Firefox, though I can't really call it my favorite browser (I would like to prefer Opera if not for the above mentioned issues), it's my most used browser, and will remain so until someone else gets their act together - whoever it may be.

Chrome at the moment with Safari coming a close second ...... Firefox Im gutted about at the moment. Was such a good browser and just seems to have gone downhill

Well since this is about favorite browsers mine is the one that works for me...and that would be firefox :-)

Anyone know if on any other browser there is an equivalent to typing about:config in the addy bar to play with the configuration?

Opera had it first iirc.

Config.webp

Well I am going to be wiping out my OS again today and trying a different one so I may install a bunch of software now that I normally wouldn't and I may add Opera to the list of things to try before the big wipe :-)

Well I am going to be wiping out my OS again today and trying a different one so I may install a bunch of software now that I normally wouldn't and I may add Opera to the list of things to try before the big wipe :)
As I said in another post, to find Opera useful you should give it a trial period of about a week (everything you try should get at least a week due to a learning curve).

The only thing I find lacking is extensions (These are widget style ones, but there are quite a few useful ones).

I dont understand if your agreeing with the whole updating thing I was talking about. If you are then I totally agree. Theres a bloody new update like every other day. They fix something and break 3 more things. Its just ridiclous. You know what im going to start calling ridiclous things? vBulletin. Hey your hair looks vBulletin today(NOT A vB BASHING THREAD!. But im a vB hater >_>)
The whole updating has gotten out-of-hand.
It seems like they are attracting users with version numbers and not the actual product anymore.
I see this as a sign of weakness.

Release often is the new software motto.

If it breaks sh!t let's release the fix in the next version ans sell that with a few other new features that will be fixed in the future.

I do not think anyone remembers when software was released it was good, maybe a few updates here and there, but none of this garbage release cycles.

I feel like i am part-of-the developer's nightly build volunteer debugger team.

Top Bottom