favicon wont show in IE

Ryan Kent

Any suggestions on troubleshooting a favicon that does not appear in IE? I have tested on two separate pc's with both IE 8 & 9.

My forum is installed at the root directory. The path to my favicon is www.terapvp.com/favicon.ico

The above link works fine and is accessible on both pc's.

The file is a real .ico file. To test I used two different websites to convert a png file to ico. Neither works.

I have added the following code to my PAGE_CONTAINER
Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.terapvp.com/favicon.ico" />

I have reached an end to my troubleshooting knowledge.

hmmmm mine appears in IE just fine. I did not add the code to my site, you don't need to.
And sometimes it takes up to 24 hrs to appear. Mine took 13 hours.
Did you clear your cache?

That was it Brogan. Apparently two different websites who advertise "convert your png to ico" don't actually properly convert the file but simple change the name. Grrrrr

I do have PS, and I tried to save my file as an .ico in it but didn't see the option in the drop down menu. Ultimately I found and downloaded icofx which worked perfectly. The image quality appears the same. I don't have a great favicon to begin with. It's one of those things I need to improve later on. Thx for the offer EQ.

IE loads the favicon from temporary internet files...it does this by downloading and storing it there and calling it when it needs to display a page that needs it.

If you change your favicon and want to reflect the changes you may need to delete the file in temporary internet files. After changing your favicon in IE go to Tools->Internet Options->Delete Browsing History.

Well tbh I learned enough to not use M$ anything anymore as far as internet is concerned so I have not used ie for years. I do believe however removing browser history in ie clears your cache as well.

I can't say any user to use a specific software so it is not a workaround. Well, thank you for response
I know...it sucks that MS shoves a half working browser down peoples throats when they install an OS.... but other than that I could not explain why it would not work.

For users that it still does not display for have them check their temporary internet files to see if it is getting the favicon. If it is actually in there I would have no clue as to why it would not display.

Top Bottom