"Fatal error: Class 'XenForo_Application' not found..."

sforum

hey all..

i just bought xenforo to replace my aging punBB installation, but it appears i've fallen at the first hurdle!

i downloaded the files immediately after buying, unzipped them, FTPed them to a /xenforo/ dir in the root of my test server, set data & install_data dir's to 777, then went to http://myserver/xenforo/install and all i get is this:

Fatal error: Class 'XenForo_Application' not found in /home/virtual/site72/fst/var/www/html/xenforo/install/index.php on line 10

any ideas? i've searched google and the forums and can't find anything :(

hmm, something else strange - i wanted to add "any help appreciated, thanks" to the end of that post, but it wouldn't let me type any more characters! i could delete existing text and replace it, i just couldn't type any more.. is there a character limit to posts??

make sure all the files are uploaded, it sounds as if you're missing some.

XenForo_Application is defined in /library/XenForo/application.php
i just checked and you're right, there is no application.php in the /library/XenForo/ dir..

however, there is also no application.php in /library/XenForo/ in the zip file that i downloaded following my purchase o_O

i'll see if i can re-download it..

Definitely sounds as if your download is corrupt or incomplete.

A fresh copy should resolve it.
yep, downloaded it again, re-uploaded, and this time it installed first time without a hitch :)

now i just have to figure out how to import the db from my old punbb forum on my other domain, when my host restricts MySQL db uploads to 8MB and my exported db is over 24MB!

but, that's for them to answer and not you guys lol.. still, the flawless xenforo installation is defo a good sign :)

yep, downloaded it again, re-uploaded, and this time it installed first time without a hitch :)

now i just have to figure out how to import the db from my old punbb forum on my other domain, when my host restricts MySQL db uploads to 8MB and my exported db is over 24MB!

but, that's for them to answer and not you guys lol.. still, the flawless xenforo installation is defo a good sign :)
Do you have ssh access with it? I got stuck like this one and had to ftp the file to my account and do it from the command line.

Do you have ssh access with it? I got stuck like this one and had to ftp the file to my account and do it from the command line.
i'm almost certain i do - my host is apis networks, who seem very "forward thinking" and seem to offer just about everything one could ask for..

trouble is, i'm not a big enough geek (i mean that in the most endearing of ways; i wish i was) to understand what you mean! i;m pretty good at picking things up, so if you could point me in the direction of a tutorial or something i'd sure 'ppreciate it :D

ta..

I would do the import on localhost using XAMPP, then export and FTP the DB to your server and ask your host to import it to your live DB.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-install-xenforo-locally-to-your-pc-using-xampp.8257/
i didn't get the first part, but the second part sounds like a go-er (i.e. FTP the file to my sandbox domain & ask my host to import the db)!

i seem to remember doing a similar thing once before.. trouble is, it messed up all the special characters (e.g. apostrophes, double-quotes, etc.) - don't suppose there's a way to avoid that (i.e. a setting i can choose when exporting/importing) is there?

ta :)

Is it a shared host?

If it is, you most likely will not have ssh access.

Your best bet will be to upload the database via FTP and give your host a nudge to restore it to the relevent database.

Is it a shared host?

If it is, you most likely will not have ssh access.

i think i do - i just searched their wiki for "ssh" and found:

"Only SSHv2 may be used to connect to the server on port 22."

Your best bet will be to upload the database via FTP and give your host a nudge to restore it to the relevent database.

yeah this is what i was going to do, but they have replied to my ticket saying they have lifted the import limit to 64MB, which will hopefully resolve my immediate problem..

now to get to work testing out the punbb importer! :D

thanks for all the responses...

yeah this is what i was going to do, but they have replied to my ticket saying they have lifted the import limit to 64MB, which will hopefully resolve my immediate problem..
As long as you can upload it through the browser! Not sure I'd want to upload a 24mb file through the browser.

Doing it via the command line is pretty easy really. For SSH just google 'PuTTY' and download it - that's the SSH client you need.

Fire it up & enter your server URL & connect.

You'll then get a logon prompt, you'll need to check with support for your username & password, but its probably the same as your FTP details.

Once logged in, you'll almost certainly be dumped into the same directory as when you log in through FTP, so if you've uploaded the sql file, it'll be sat there waiting.

Then its a case of typing...

mysql -u<username> -p<password> -D<databasename> < sql_file.sql

So, if your username was sforum, password was letmein & database name was sforum_xenforo the command would be something like:

mysql -usforum -pletmein -Dsforum_xenforo < sql_file.sql

This would then execute the SQL in the file and populate the database.

a couple of things to point out - make sure a) the database exists and b) the sql file doesn't start with CREATE DATABASE ....

If it does, just create the database through the admin system & then remove the line from the SQL file.

You technically don't have to, but I prefer to name the DB on the command line, rather than let the script do it. Use the wrong sql script and all sorts of bad things could happen!

Hope all that helps a bit :)

As long as you can upload it through the browser! Not sure I'd want to upload a 24mb file through the browser.

fortunately, i work at a university, so have a pretty healthy connection ;)

the file uploaded fine, in a matter of seconds, but then i got the error:

Error

SQL query:
--
-- Database: `sforum`
--
CREATEDATABASE`sforum`DEFAULTCHARACTERSETlatin1COLLATElatin1_swedish_ci;

MySQL said:
#1044 - Access denied for user 'myusername'@'localhost' to database 'sforum'

looks like it's back to the host's trouble-ticket for me! :(

a couple of things to point out - make sure a) the database exists and b) the sql file doesn't start with CREATE DATABASE ....

hmm.. the .sql file did indeed start with:

Code:
CREATE DATABASE `sforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;
USE `sforum`;

so i commented those two lines out and am re-uploading now.. either it's stuck at 93% (which has never happened before; it's always had no problems uploading) or something is happening that is taking a long time..

uncompressed, the .sql file is over 100MB, so i'm guessing it could be importing, or trying to do something at least :cautious:

Ah, depending on how their import system works, it may need those two lines! I was talking about doing it via SSH...

If the DB already exists (i.e. was setup by the host), then you may need the 'USE sforum' line.

Top Bottom