Facebook sign-in experiences - good or bad?

Ingenious

Have any forum admins any comments on whether Facebook sign-up has been good or bad for their communities? I have never used this type of integration before, and as I don't like change, I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of.

I can imagine it would make it easier to sign up, does this encourage more new members, is the quality of new members the same (or higher, lower)?

What about spam - has anyone had problems with facebook sign-ups actually being spammers?

From what we've seen registrations went up when we brought in facebook registration and login and we haven't seen any spammers using facebook registration so far. However I would say that we had a couple of problems with people who had registered and then linked their facebook accounts, I personally had a problem with it but we haven't had any reports of it recently so that seems ok now.

Quality of users seems unaffected, except that we have more of them and I do believe people are more like to make atleast one post if they register with facebook because it's so much quicker that they can go directly back to the page they were on in well under a minute and start posting and I think there's atleast a small connection between how fast people can register and whether they will make a post.

Thanks Steve. There doesn't seem to be any obvious disadvantage but I thought I'd ask existing users of it to make sure :)

Top Bottom