Fixed  Facebook Sign-in Error

Ray

Hello, everyone!

Currently running BETA 2, every time I try to sign up with facebook, I get the following error:

Please enter a valid email

See attachments below

Attachments

• facebook1.webp
    facebook1.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 77
  • facebook2.webp
    facebook2.webp
    2.4 KB · Views: 51
Did you try what Mike suggested?

Your invalid email thing is happening because it's only been granted the FB proxy email, rather than a regular email. I don't even thing that was an option at the time the code was written, but I could be wrong. It looks like supporting the proxy mails would involve making our email field significantly longer. We could, though this is probably the only time it's needed. If you remove the application from your FB profile and regrant permission, I suspect it'll work.

You could also try deleting the app and creating a new one.

Glad to hear it Ray.

I'll make a note of that fix for the future in case anyone else encounters it.

when a user tries to Login via FaceBook, then he sees the following:

See Screenshot with Error at "e-mail" attached.
How to fix this ???

Thanks,

Attachments

• faceb_login_issue.webp
    faceb_login_issue.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 43
nope. I do not think that a user would understand he needs to change the proxy e-mail.
I do not want to showthe user the Proxy E-Mail crap. How to get rid of this Proxy E-mail stuff ? Is this a FB-setting for each individul user ?

tried again with another FB-user and got the Error-message:
"Please enter a value using 60 characters or fewer."

You have to select the "normal" e-mail address.

View attachment 5297

yeah, but how do I tell this to the user who is signing up via FaceBook ? So that this user does not get an error-message ?

So if the user is signing-up by using FaceBook and is keeping the setting "proxymail.facebook.com", then the user is getting an Error-message.

Is this a XF-bug or a FaceBook setting ? I am trying to get some help from the FB-developer forum.

Okay, it's not a bug.

This only affects NEW Facebook accounts.

If you already have an ACTIVE Facebook account, login and create your app.

If you intend to use a new Facebook account with your site, make sure you add at least 2 people/friends and post a few wall comments.

If you just open an account and create an app, Facebook will set the "proxified e-mail" as the user's default.

Okay, it's not a bug.

This only affects NEW Facebook accounts.

If you already have an ACTIVE Facebook account, login and create your app.

If you intend to use a new Facebook account with your site, make sure you add at least 2 people/friends and post a few wall comments.

If you just open an account and create an app, Facebook will set the "proxified e-mail" as the user's default.

I logged in with my same FB-account into 2 different of my XF-websites. At one website it is working fine, at the other website it shows the proxy-mail. So not sure if this has anything to do how many friends or wall-posts you have at FB......

I logged in with my same FB-account into 2 different of my XF-websites. At one website it is working fine, at the other website it shows the proxy-mail. So not sure if this has anything to do how many friends or wall-posts you have at FB......

Here is an example:

site.com << app under new fb account.
site.net << app under existing/active fb account.

user(facebook user) logs into site.com, since the app at site.com was created under a new fb account, facebook will set the proxified-email as default email address.

user(facebook user) logs into site.net, since the app at site.net was created under an active fb account, facebook will set the normal email address as the user's default.
If you are the user login in, it doesn't matter whether or not you have friends etc.

Where do I go in FB to find this setting?

To change that setting, you have to create the app under an active facebook account.
If you create an app under a brand new facebook account, facebook will set the "proxied email" as the default e-mail address and the user will have to GRANT permission to use the non-proxy one.

This isn't an issue with my setup, the email is fine, but when I try to connect, I get this error:

An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later.

Same for me Neal-UK . I have tried editing the app I was using for my IPB site that was working, and that didn't work. I tried creating another brand new app for the xenforo site and that didn't work.

I have yet to get past the An error occurred page.

I have a FB app setup for the IPB site and it's working, but I just can't get it to work no matter what I try under my xenforo test site. I do wonder why the xF site isn't asking for the Application ID, but my IPB site is.

Jamie

Top Bottom