Lack of interest Facebook registration username field

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Robbo

When registering with Facebook it pre-fills the username field and people simply don't notice this and just see it as validation that the right account is there. Anyways, I suggest it not get filled as I have had to change a few usernames because of this.

And in-case this has already changed can someone say so as I'm about to write a mod to stop it doing it for me anyway.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I was just going to make a post about the same issue. Is there no way to ask for a username instead of pulling it and auto-filing?

I dont think its been implemented yet. So +1 for a mod !

You should just be able to blank out the field in the register_facebook template (name from memory).

Generally, the idea with FB registration is to keep it as streamlined as possible, so the less they have to enter the better, though I appreciate that people may not want their real names to be used.

You should just be able to blank out the field in the register_facebook template (name from memory).

Generally, the idea with FB registration is to keep it as streamlined as possible, so the less they have to enter the better, though I appreciate that people may not want their real names to be used.
Maybe you could add an intermediate step, an overlay saying "Would you like to attempt to use your real name as a username?"

I was actually going to add a little warning via phrases. I shall check the template. Thanks Mike.

I see your point about the little as possible ploy however people never know what they want they sign up and then complain about their real names being used >< so yeah sometimes lol you've got to make life one step more complicated I guess for the overall betterment.

Hopefully you guys can eventually get an option going for disabling Registration via FB only and not a the link up or perhaps like VB to have an option on what should be pulled out? The latter might be better appreciated I suppose.

I can see this being an issue for many people. Perhaps giving the username field focus as well as an inline balloon notification informing them that they can change their username if they don't want to use their real name would be a good solution.

Top Bottom