1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Page Visibility

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trilogy33, Apr 28, 2011.

1. trilogy33

trilogy33 Well-Known Member

Go here: http://facebook.com/xenforo
    Then here: http://www.facebook.com/mx5life

See the difference? Xenforo's is open and the latter isn't.

How do you set a Facebook Page to public?
    I've been looking just about everywhere on FB to make this public (so that you don't need to log in to FB).
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I can see both pages fine.

Or are you referring to the wall content?

Click on the Edit link on the right and you can configure the settings, including making the default landing page the wall - http://www.facebook.com/mx5life?sk=wall
    trilogy33 likes this.
  3. trilogy33

Thanks Brogan :) You can probably see both because you're logged into FB.
    Logging out of FB seems to render mine invisible, way more evident if you take a look at the FB block on the Portal Page:
  4. trilogy33

I'm seeing:

Facebook Public Profile
    Login to see this content
    This public profile is not visible.
    But I "think" I've just found out why...
    If "page likers" have Private FB Profiles, then that's more than likely why their Profile (*faces*) aren't showing. *nod*
  5. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

I can't see your page either. I don't see any settings to make a page public. Try reporting it to Facebook and see what they say.
    trilogy33 likes this.
  6. trilogy33

Thanks Turtile, I don't see any settings either.

I do wonder if it has something to do with my Personal Profile - which is Private. Hmmm...
  7. trilogy33

Nope, nothing to do with that, just tested it by going Personal Account: Public for a few seconds and then back again to Private.

Now, check this one:
    See? Everyone can see this page, even when logged out of FB - so you don't need a FB account to view the content.

Reported it to Facebook, so that might take a while...... (yes I've been through their Help section)
  8. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

As a page admin, you can still set specific privacy to a page, requiring users to be logged into FB, etc.

I actually just created my first page yesterday, and found these things out for myself by doing it.
    trilogy33 likes this.
  9. trilogy33

Ah thanks Anthony, I really need to get around this...
    Had a very fast reply from Facebook actually :) but it was one of those, "we're dealing with it, lots of requests".
    To be honest I'm very lost on this.
  10. trilogy33

Cracked it!
    You must set the Age Restriction to: "Anyone (13+)".
    With us being a car related website, from the very beginning I'd had it set to "17 and over", which makes sense really.

Solved :)
  11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Heh, I was looking at that too but never considered it would block it when not logged in.

Fairly poor implementation from Facebook there - some basic instructions or information would probably help.
    trilogy33 likes this.
  12. Mary Johnson

Mary Johnson New Member

What fixed it for me was removing all countries. HOW? Edit your page. Go to Manager Permissions. Under "country restrictions" remove all countries. FB's note said that if you have any countries, then that person must be logged in so that they can tell what country they are from. Makes sense, but not obvious.