Facebook-like "Wall"?

Josh111

Is there a page of all recent status updates of either my friends, or the whole site?

The comments/status posts are very well thought out, BTW.

I'm not sure how well I like that. It doesn't show comments on status updates. Including forum posts in the feed may be too much. Something like this might work better:
http://community.invisionpower.com/statuses/all/

Sorry, I know IPB is awfully ugly.
redface.png

I have to disagree, I rather like the recent activity of xf more than IPB... I understand what you're saying about having more things show, or less..

I actually like having the forum posts in there as well.. it's pulls the site together and allows the members a place to see almost everything that is going on.. who knows, they may see a forum post they want to reply too. :)

Jamie

The one thing I would like to change, and when the stable release comes out, I may hire someone to build it for me would be to have the ability to update your status on the top of that page similar to facebook. I think the status updates would get used more if it where there vs under the profile or the username drop down in the navigation menu.

But, this a small thing.. :)

Jamie

The one thing I would like to change, and when the stable release comes out, I may hire someone to build it for me would be to have the ability to update your status on the top of that page similar to facebook. I think the status updates would get used more if it where there vs under the profile or the username drop down in the navigation menu.

But, this a small thing.. :)

Jamie
the danger of that is that it could turn recent activity into a chat room.
i was running the latest 'show status updates' sideblock with the status input implemented (for about a day) and thats exactly what happened. people used it like a shoutblock.

I think recent forum posts and a Facebook-like Wall should be separate features. I want my users to be able to sit around commenting on what everyone on the site is posting in little blurbs.

the danger of that is that it could turn recent activity into a chat room.
i was running the latest 'show status updates' sideblock with the status input implemented (for about a day) and thats exactly what happened. people used it like a shoutblock.

thanks i was wondering if it would be cool to have and i imagined that as a possibility.

Invision, on their site, Is just showing status updates. Some may want just status updates. I do think (and it has been suggested) commenting on status updates could be popular especially with the most active forum members.
invision.community.status.updates.webp

Some sites might want "Just Status updates".
However .....

that ipb page works because people cannot enter their status update directly into a textfield on the page (at least not that i can see), instead they can only comment on exsting statuses. where that page would fall apart would be if people were allowed to reply to existing statuses by posting their own status update directly from the page. it then turns into a chatroom. i had the same problem with xenforo profiles until i actually removed the ability to post status updates from the profile (see sig), forcing them to 'comment' their replies.

that ipb page works because people cannot enter their status update directly into a textfield on the page (at least not that i can see), instead they can only comment on exsting statuses. where that page would fall apart would be if people were allowed to reply to existing statuses by posting their own status update directly from the page. it then turns into a chatroom. i had the same problem with xenforo profiles until i actually removed the ability to post status updates from the profile (see sig), forcing them to 'comment' their replies.
If you are logged in you can post your status at the top.

I WANT it to function that way. It's just like Facebook. People post funny one-liners, links to cool stuff they find on the internet, and comment on each other's stuff. It gives my users something to do that's fun and lighthearted, and keeps them coming back for more, instead of just serious forum discussiona.

if they comment on each others stuff. its my experience that they dont comment and instead reply with a new status update. that might look ok on that page, but when you then view their profile it looks like a one-sided conversation.

Top Bottom