XF 1.5 Facebook Integration Help

ChrisUK

Hi,

I am currently setting up the Facebook integration and i am having a few issues. The steps in the current guide don't match what Facebook shows,however i think i might have got the most if it done. I think i just need to set it as a 'Live' app? Will this cost?

I've a few questions that i'm not sure about.

1. Should i create a separate Facebook login for the Developer account ? or is it OK to use my personal account?
2. I don't think it does, but does it cost anything?
3. Will my Facebook account (assuming using personal) come up with loads of messages when people signup? Or does this sort of thing just show in the developer section?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I think i just need to set it as a 'Live' app? Will this cost?
No, it doesn't cost. You just need to make the app live so visitors to the site can use it.

or is it OK to use my personal account?
In general you have to use your personal account.

but does it cost anything?
No.

Will my Facebook account (assuming using personal) come up with loads of messages when people signup?
No.

I was able to set up the FB integration. I tested it, it works. I can login to XF with an email and FB password. It pulls the profile picture over nicely. I am not sure what the benefit is though. I believe that when logged into XF via FB account, and "like or recommend" a post in XF, it will show up in the wall of the FB account? I have liked and recommended, and then gone to the wall of the FB account, but I don't see anything. It does show up though in the activity log of the FB account.

I just noticed that in the FB account, I have to manually set the privacy of the activity to "public". Is this the problem I wonder?

Hmn. Might somebody explain to me how I could effectively use this link to drive traffic to my forum?

I am not sure what the benefit is though.
Integration with FB, Google, and Twitter is simply to provide alternate means of log in and registration.
Many people prefer to simply click a 'login with <social network provider>' link than go to the effort of typing out a user name and password, plus any other fields which may be required on a standard log in page, including captcha.

I have liked and recommended, and then gone to the wall of the FB account, but I don't see anything.
I don't use FB any longer and FB keep changing how stuff works, so I'm not sure where it shows up now when clicking 'Recommend'.

Thank you. I think the ultimate aim of any board is to gain users and eyeballs. In that respect then, strong and transparent (what it does, where, etc) integration to arguably the largest social network in the world would be a good thing? If this was really focused on, it would be a huge plus to attract membership?

Top Bottom